Charging System Fault - Emergency problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesZollo

Reaction score
Landroverites,

I have a 2010 Range Rover Vogue. While driving last week the dashboard came up with a Charging System Fault. I was in the fast lane of a motorway/hiway. As I was looking at the fault, suddenly my dashboard went crazy with a series of gearbox fault, suspension fault and other flashing errors and then the power steering died. I barely made it to the hard shoulder and this was an incredibly dangerous situation and could have caused chaos if I had not quickly made it to the safe side of the road.

I had the vehicle recovered to a garage who advised it must be the alternator. The alternator was replaced at great expense. The battery was checked and all was good.

Two days ago (1 week after the 1st incident), the same thing happened again. Once again a dangerous dying of all electrics and an emergency stop on a main road after a "charging system fault". The strange thing is - even with everything turned off and nothing working through my remote keyfob, one rear light remained on while the vehicle was recovered again.

Has anyone seen anything like this? The car is in the garage again and they can't seem to find the fault.

Thanks

All the worlds

Reaction score
Landroverites,

I have a 2010 Range Rover Vogue. While driving last week the dashboard came up with a Charging System Fault. I was in the fast lane of a motorway/hiway. As I was looking at the fault, suddenly my dashboard went crazy with a series of gearbox fault, suspension fault and other flashing errors and then the power steering died. I barely made it to the hard shoulder and this was an incredibly dangerous situation and could have caused chaos if I had not quickly made it to the safe side of the road.

I had the vehicle recovered to a garage who advised it must be the alternator. The alternator was replaced at great expense. The battery was checked and all was good.

Two days ago (1 week after the 1st incident), the same thing happened again. Once again a dangerous dying of all electrics and an emergency stop on a main road after a "charging system fault". The strange thing is - even with everything turned off and nothing working through my remote keyfob, one rear light remained on while the vehicle was recovered again.

Has anyone seen anything like this? The car is in the garage again and they can't seem to find the fault.

Thanks
Did you get any answers as have same problem with my disco 4 ??

Ian K

Reaction score
I'm assuming both of you have sorted this out by now, but just in case... My 2010 LR4 just consumed its second alternator in 5 months. The behavior described above generally occurs because the alternator has been out long enough for the battery to drop too low in charge (anything below about 11.3 volts at the battery and everything malfunctions has been my experience). In my case, the vehicle is ruining alternators because oil is leaking directly into the alternator. This happened first due to a leak at the valve cover gasket, and now because of a leak from the left timing cover just above my alternator. Perhaps ask your shop/s to check for this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut