D1 Brake line / tube replacement, remove ABS module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
So my brakes went out a while ago and Im just getting around to fixing them.
The hard line or tube failed. I removed the ABS fuse a while ago.
I have removed the lines and am getting ready to make new ones but wanted to throw this out there to avoid any mistakes if possible.

So here's my plan,
1. Remove existing lines from ABS to rear axle (done) and make new ones from stainless steel tubing
2. Replace ABS module with simple line 'spliter'
2(b) use single line to rear axle instead of 2, add spliter at axle
3. use same size connections instead of the LR specialty of 'variety'

Anyone who has done this before please chime in - looking for some advise, recommendations.
It looks like the master cylinder has 2 line out one goes to abs -- the other to proportioning valve(?) and then back to ABS?

I understand I will have to purchase tube bending tools and tools to flare the ends for the fittings. I am curious about the threading gauge as-well.

thanks

***EDIT - Build Materials below
First thanks Disco Mike - NAPA rocks - got the line and fitting there for less than online!
Part No. Desc.
RNS503 x6 RETAINER DUAL BRAKE PIPE
NTC1176 x2 CLIP BRAKE PIPE
RNS504 x3 CLIP DOUBLE BRAKE PIPE
RNI825 x2 HOLD DOWN BRAKE PIPE SINGLE-SER & DEF
RNS756 x7 CLIP-BRAKE PIPE DISCOVERY II
NTC9530 x3 CLIP BRAKE PIPE
SBL3005E4 x1 Goodridge STAINLESS BRAKE FLEX LINE SET DSCO I +4"

_________ x3 25' Roll of Copper Nickel Alloy 3/16" pipe (yes three - approx 65' of hardline in this truck)
_________ x27 10x1mm 3/16" opening fitting
notes:
---you will have to reuse the 1 and only 13mm fitting on one of the lines coming out of the ABS

---flairing - this pipe is soft and twists - get the flare head down snug and use vice grips to stop it from turning as you crank down on it - practice alot first

more to come - almost done

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were mine, I would replace any hard lines and the rubber hose that are way too old.
As for the ABS, I would not remove it.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply,..... gonna leave the abs in and do all the lines..

took the past week trying to source the fittings here in the US (maryland) and Im not having a whole lot of luck. Thus far all I can find is Fedhill (found a few others but they are very vague in description and have little selection) that has a selection of metric fittings but they dont stock stainless steel tubing.

What I have found:
10mm w/ 1mm thread
bubble flare?? (saw double in a few defender posts)
3/16" line

If there are any 'not common' terms I should try for searching- please chim in.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try a NAPA store if there is one near you. Are you going to replace your rubber lines also, will also make an increase in pedal pressure.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will check Napa - theres a few here in MD - thanks
yeah Rubber lines will get replaced aswell - Im gonna plan ahead for a 2 inch lift and get extended ones - prolly SS braided too

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to crawl under you truck, looking up at the bottom of the master cylinder, are there 2 rubber hose there like on a D2 where you will need 6 line replacements.
Might look on Atlantic British, they one one of a few suppliers that have the six line package.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks mike,
are these the lines from the Master Cylinder to the balancer valve and back to the ABS? (the valve it sits on the fender well under the MC? )- there are several short hardlines in that area - planned on doin them all since Im shaping so many -
thus far I counted only 4 rubber lines on the entire truck - will look as you described when I get home tonight

one thing Im having trouble sourcing is the line holders (as most broke) that go up to the bottom of the floor in the back and attach via threaded post (when the line runs laterally accross from the body rail to the middle of the 'bed' and connect to the rubber lines) - I think the D2's are diff and they are the only ones I can find

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any one know the stock length of the flex lines (brakes)?
gonna order custom ss braided lines and want to accomidate for a 2" lift soon to come.

thanks

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got lines installed - bleed the system - still have really mushy brakes.
I will note I can feel a 'lump' in the pedal/mc when pressing it.

I did not bleed the balancer valve for the front wheels. How do I do that? (Im guessing thats got air in it.)
thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi