My 1999 dr2 headgasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsa239

Reaction score
My 1999 DR2's headgasket finally has failed, have attempted sealing it with a sealing solution and it worked for a while. The local dealer says it would take about $2500.00 to replace it. I looked around for someone less expensive and found non. My son is a mechanic, looked around for another engine. He found 1 with 90,000 miles for $900.00 plus $200 shipping. It arrived last Friday, to be instaled this coming Friday-Sunday. The replacement appears to have been taken care of unlike the current 1.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you replace an engine for a blown head gasket? It is a lot cheaper and quicker just to redue the gaskets, replace the seals and head bolts, something your mechanic son should be able to due for around $300 including having the head tested.
How many miles on your current engine?
Make sure you flush all the stop leak out and switch to a 180 degree soft spring t/s/
Do you have a shop manual?

bsa239

Reaction score
MIKE

Finally had time to reply, I had other issues with the engine and was advised to replace the engine. Now that the newer engine is in, everything hooked up, it won't run. Both the crank and cam sensor was installed from the old engine that were working. The engine cranks but won't fire up. There is no spark at the plugs or coil. There are 2 thoughts: 1 is the security systems has locked everything up or the crank sensor is installed incorrectly. I have the security code but trying to reset the system with the key in the door doesnot seem to work as far I can tell. I can lock the doors with the bob, lights flash and the red light on the dash flashes slowly. Is the cam sensor near the fire wall or is the crank sensor or vice versa?? I had the "crank sensor replaced awhile back and the mechanic 1st installed it backwords and oce he turned it over the engine ran well. Need a little help and guidance here when you get a chance, thanks in advance.

bsa239

Reaction score
Mke and All;

This is an update, replacement engine is in, everything connected, it cranks but wouldn't start. Talked to Mike our expert. He told me what to really look at, either the CAM Sensor or Crank Sensor. Had my D2 towed in, after a week of waiting on what was going on, the mechanic called, told me sensor near the fire wall was installed incorrectly. Mike said sensor to engine block, then spacers then bolt down. My son did the work, asked him several times to double check this. Well now after $300.00 my D2 is back on the road.

Thanks Mike!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick