Factory recall: Glass panel roof on 12/13 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a search, and didn't see this being discussed.

Got a letter from LRNA the other day, said there's a recall on the 2012 and 2013 LR4 for an issue with the glass panel roof. Apparently there's a risk they weren't installed properly at the factory, and can leak water, and in the worst case, separate from the vehicle at highway speeds and fly into traffic. That'd be a bummer.

Anyway, the materials to make the fix aren't supposed to be available until late August, and they more or less re-install your glass panel.

Not super excited about them performing this work. Seems like it'd be easy to make it worse than it already is.

What'cha'll think?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My early build 2013 must not be affected, I just checked on TopiX and I show no outstanding recalls or field service actions for my VIN. Do you have any more details, such as a recall #? I'll be happy to look into it.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind, found some details on this recall. It only affects 492 LR4 vehicles built between August 15 and September 18, 2012 (I imagine they are all, or almost all, late MY2012s as mine is an early build 2013 and was assembled in November 2012.) It's almost like winning the lottery, congrats GoLoaf! :wink: Recall # P065, all affected owners should have been notified by mail already.

The problem is rooted in the adhesive and primer used by Britain's NSG Group to attach the LR4's panoramic roof. According to NHTSA:

"Customers have reported the panoramic roof assembly was either noisy, loose, leaking water into the vehicle or, in one case, had detached from the vehicle while the vehicle was in motion....

"Where the panoramic roof glass panel detaches from the vehicle, it may collide with other vehicles on the road or compel other road users to take evasive action. This could increase the risk of a vehicle crash."

No s**t. Land Rover will apply the correct primer as part of the recall campaign.

Last edited:

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind, found some details on this recall. It only affects 492 LR4 vehicles built between August 15 and September 18, 2012 (I imagine they are all, or almost all, late MY2012s as mine is an early build 2013 and was assembled in November 2012.) It's almost like winning the lottery, congrats GoLoaf! :wink: Recall # P065, all affected owners should have been notified by mail already.

The problem is rooted in the adhesive and primer used by Britain's NSG Group to attach the LR4's panoramic roof. According to NHTSA:

"Customers have reported the panoramic roof assembly was either noisy, loose, leaking water into the vehicle or, in one case, had detached from the vehicle while the vehicle was in motion....

"Where the panoramic roof glass panel detaches from the vehicle, it may collide with other vehicles on the road or compel other road users to take evasive action. This could increase the risk of a vehicle crash."

No s**t. Land Rover will apply the correct primer as part of the recall campaign.

Fun! Yep, pretty sure mine was built in Sept 2012. At least it's only 492 vehicles, maybe I won't have a hard time getting the service done. Probably get to drive around an Evoque for a week.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I'm not affected. Mine is a late 2013. Late July or August of 2013, I believe. I ordered it sometime in July and took delivery in late September.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm....I have an early '13, I need to look into this further.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you got your 2013 before mine (and I thought I was one of the first to get it in Jan 2013), you are probably outside of the "danger zone." The tag on the driver's door should indicate your month/year of manufacture, or look it up on TopiX with your VIN.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm good. I purchased mine in January of '13 and the build date says 12/12. I'm surprised it's only a month apart.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi