LR4 Radiator Flush and Coolant Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have not seen much on the LR4 radiator, and I have just finished a bit of servicing and wanted to post my notes.

First, the LR4 Radiator is a 10.8L capacity system with a manufacturer recommended coolant of Castrol SF (50-50 mix). The manufacturer doesn’t have a lot of recommendations for the changing of coolant (I have seen schedules to change coolant every 3 or 5 years), but the Land Rover Engineer who was in town some while back said that in the exceptionally difficult conditions we are driving here in Africa, we should do a complete fluid flush and fluid replacement every year. I waited a while to do this, but just finished.

I have my fluids tested by a laboratory in the states to ensure quality control, so if anyone wants the information from my radiator coolant or engine oil, I can send it (I will need to send my latest series of samples next month for testing, which includes the radiator change). Ironically, my LR4 came from the factory with the wrong mix in the radiator (a 65-35 mix of coolant-water rather than 50-50)! I never really changed it, but added a bit more water. I have had to add a total of 1.5L of water over the past two years. I don't think the mix was critical as the engine never had any heat exchange issues…even in the incredible heat it runs through here.

After the radiator flush, I added Glysantin G-30 manufactured by BASF in a 50-50 mix. G-30 is approved by Jaguar-Land Rover (and other high performance vehicles like Lotus!) so this should be an acceptable alternative to Castrol SF. In all the driving I have done, I have never had any radiator problems or engine overheating issues, which speaks to the quality of the design and fabrication.

If anyone has any additional insight or observations, please let the community know!

Cheers and best holiday wishes-
Land Rover Joe

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update for everyone,

So I just checked the books: The 2010 “MY Maintenance Schedule” from Land Rover says to change engine coolant every 10 years (!). The workshop manual for the LR4 (May 2011 update) in “Maintenance Schedules-Gasoline Engines” says the same: “Coolant-Replace Every 10 years or 150,000 miles.”

Needless to say…I think the coolant should be replaced much sooner than that and a radiator flush never hurts.

DiscoMike recommends (in his post under “Power Steering Flush”) to change the coolant and thermostat after 60,000 miles. As I said before-the Land Rover Engineer who came out to do some contracted service work said that under the conditions we drive in, it is best to change (that is actually only half the coolant in the radiator system) the coolant every 12 months and periodically flush the whole thing.

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radiator and thermostat did not make 60,000 miles. After driving through some deep muddy water on a hot Texas day the vehicle got hot (It was not driven in a overheated condition nor does it show any signs of head gasket damage) Afterwards it seemed to be just fine in town but would run hot on the highway. Using some LR diagnostic equipment determined the exit water temperature coming out of the radiator was not significantly different than the temp going in. Removing the radiator revealed an extremely slow flow rate. I never had coolant loss nor added coolant. I was told however that sometimes when the coolant gets very hot it can cause resins to be released from the plastic parts of the cooling system that can restrict flow in the the radiator. I'm now having the radiator professionally cleaned and putting in a new thermostat at 43,000 miles

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I question that "hot resins" story Don. My LR4 is here in the Middle East (Qatar) and we basically have months straight of 120F+ weather all summer as a daily driver. I have had it repeatedly out in the dunes in 100F+ weather riding pretty ******* the engine. I haven't had any cooling issues whatsoever, nor heard of this issue you are talking about. These trucks are designed for the heat of Africa, Middle East, Australia, etc. A little Texas heat is nothing to worry about.

I'd just get a good solid flush and inspect what comes out of the drain.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my coolant changed at 2 years and I'm at 55K miles at this point. Anyone have a link on how to change the thermostat?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA