New Discovery Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a new MY14 LR4 owner I can live with this feature on by default as long as I'm not in a hurry out of the gate, or when i'm on slight downhill backed up on ramp (my daily commute!). At that point I turn it off.

You can turn off this feature anytime you want as long as you're in neutral or park, so if it's too painful in stop-and-go traffic then just quickly go to park, press the button, and back to drive and you're good to go.

david_h

Reaction score
Welcome david_h. I recently had an Evoque loaner with the engine shut off feature. You barely notice it at all. And the Evoque does have a button you can push to disable the engine shut off feature. However, you do need to push it after every new engine start-up to disable it.

Not sure if the Discovery Sport will have the same override button, but I would expect it to.

Thanks PaulLR3 and JotaDe; It will be fun to add this step to my "After-Engine-Start checklist".

1. Auto engine hybernate.............OFF

Last edited:

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ECO Mode start/stop works so well that I've gotten used to it and hardly notice it. It doesn't interfere with daily driving at all in the least bit for me.

david_h

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Soda.

Couple more questions about the ECO Mode start/stop to understand it better:

1. Will this feature apply to both, gasoline and diesel engines?

2. What parameter/sensor shuts down the engine: tire rotating speed, engine RPM or what?

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine only shuts off when you are fully stopped with your foot firmly on the brake pedal. There cannot be too much power load demand on the car from the AC, radio, other accessories, etc. or ECO mode won't come on and shut off the engine. If you let up slightly on the brake pedal while ECO is engaged then the engine will come back on... like if you are preparing for an upcoming green light.

We only have the gasoline engines here in the US, but I assume that the diesel engines have the same system.

Last edited:

david_h

Reaction score
Brilliant response, all worries vanished, thanks Soda.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I have great fun with friends in the car when at a stoplight. I tell them that it has cameras that sense the subtle shift in the lights when the cross-lane lights go yellow. It then starts the engine up in anticipation of our lane going green. Sometimes the timing actually works out close enough that I get a, "Really? Cool!"

It has become instinctive now for me to lighten my pressure on the brake just a bit as I see a break in traffic coming and want to accelerate quickly to jump in that break.

We also actually like the "sound of silence" when we come to a stop and things go quiet for a few seconds - now that we know what it is.

And, finally, it can give a start to people standing nearby when the engine starts back up after having gone quiet.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about the long term effect...only time will tell.

david_h

Reaction score
Any body in Paris right now? the auto show is going on right now till the 19th of October if I am correct, please check the schedule.

It would be great if someone could go and get us some good pictures of the new Discovery Sport; please get a good picture of the rear lights, rear air deflector, overall rear appearence among other things.

The Miami, Fl International Auto Show takes place between the 7th and 16th of November; get your cameras ready.

Last edited:

david_h

Reaction score
HA! Guess what? did a search in google and there are a good deal of photos of the Paris auto show already, sorry!

But I did not see any photo of the engine, so if you go, please take a picture of the engine and post it here, thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA