How to stop battery from draining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a multi day trip in the San Bernardino national forest and was not pleased to find that I had to jump start the car at the end of day 3. I have a Goalzero portable battery so my fridge and other electronics were all connected to it and there isn't anything draining the power other than the dome lights turning on when we had to access the car. I suppose I could be more diligent on not keep opening the doors but could that possibly be the only reason that the battery was depleted?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is the battery? The stock ones can have a pretty short shelf life before they start acting up and won't take a full charge anymore. Also, a while ago LR tech recommended I don't keep the fob anywhere near the car after parking it in my garage (at least 20 feet away if possible, even with walls in-between), as some electronics may not go to "sleep" in the car if the keyless entry module detects a nearby fob. I can't believe that alone would cause the battery to go flat that quickly, but short of you forgetting to turn something off...

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2013 like yours so I suppose the battery is still in relative good shape in terms of holding charge. Is there a way to disable the interior lights from lighting up when the doors are open? Not just the dome lights but the LED "mood" lights from the handles, etc.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Push and hold the center button on the overhead console for 5 seconds or so, until the TFT display in the instrument cluster confirms "Interior Lights Off" (repeat to enable the lights again.) I do believe that turns off everything including the mood LEDs (but those use so little power, I doubt they'd be an issue anyway.)

FWIW, my 2013's OEM battery lasted about 11 months, then pretty much died when I had about 30K miles on the car. I didn't even take advantage of the dealer's warranty freebie and upgraded to a better quality AGM battery right away.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think your situation is unusual. When I camp with my 2011 LR4, I can get the "low battery" warning even after 1 night (people opening doors a lot). Need to find a good way to disable all the lights and things when not needed. I guess I'll give umbertob's fix a try.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could add a little solar to keep it topped up.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob is correct about the lights. When camping, I always turn off the lights so they don't come on when the doors open.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And/or, bigger and better battery. I went this route recently and am very pleased with the results.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob is correct about the lights. When camping, I always turn off the lights so they don't come on when the doors open.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Such good advice. I just got back from three days camping and luckily I had cables and a friends with trucks to jump me. Going to do this in the future. :hello:

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And/or, bigger and better battery. I went this route recently and am very pleased with the results.

I just received a brand new warrantee from interstate today. Had an issue with a 24 month old interstate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV