Pardon my noob request

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt*strike

Reaction score
I have a 2003 disco 134,000 miles. Just replaced wires, plugs, water pump, and serp. belt. Now I'm having problems with the truck heating up at idle. By that I mean when I start it and let it run the temperature gauge comes up but no heat. As soon as I drive a block it is blowing hot air. I have filled the reservoir multiple times. I have filled it cold from the bleeder hole. Tried everything thinking maybe the heater core has an air lock. I have heard you can swap the hoses to get the air lock out. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Matt

matt*strike

Reaction score
Update. Now I'm getting low oil pressure light at start up and doesnt go off until I rev it up to about 1500 rpm! Im sure it's in need of a new oil pump anyone know how hard of a job it is? Im very mechanically inclined have rebuild plenty of honda motors just don't know if im ready for the land rover plunge.

matt*strike

Reaction score
Little update. I put a oil pressure gauge on in lieu of the oil sensor and at warm idle i have 9 psi and at 2000 rpm i have 42psi. The repair manual states 10psi and 50psi as the norms. Think its time for an oil pump or just wait it out?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this before.. first you sound like you have an air pocket in the water circulation system, best fix is to park with the front end at an elevated position (on a hill or on car ramps). fill the system leave the cap off, run the engine till warm continue to fill until it will not take any more, turn on the heat on full. Let it run for about 30 minutes and continue to check the fluid level. When it is hot and full. shut it down and put cap back on.

Oil Pressure at your mileage could be as simple as a clogged pickup tube. Being Mechanical you can either do a engine flush or pull the oil pan and clean everything out. This will normally fix your issue.

matt*strike

Reaction score
I agree with the air pocket. I have that fixed now.

Soon I will be dropping the pan and checking things out. It seemes that at 60mph its about 35psi. Im not sure id thats bad or not cause when i get in my driveway if i rev it up to 2000 it is still above 45psi.

matt*strike

Reaction score
5508c4b574fc6138551995babf49053e.jpg
just a teaser

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice Disco... and the tap noise could be the oil pump not being able to get enough oil due to screen clogged or one of the sleeves may have started to slide... not really a big issue. I have seen rover tap for years and never have an issue.

matt*strike

Reaction score
Thanks Joey. Im waiting for it to warm up at little bit here and then I'll drop the oil pan and check stuff out.

matt*strike

Reaction score
Update on my Disco... oil pump was broke in four pieces. New pump, timing chain, and gaskets runs like new. I sure missed driving this thing!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV