DuraTracs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize its subjective, but I am very happy with my 19in DuraTrac's. I went back and forth on what to do, and as I have become a lazy poser, I just couldn't justify the expense of 19 in wheels and a rear bumper (not a fan of airing down and putting a slightly bigger tire under the truck).

Discount Tires gave me the option of switching them out within 30 days if I didn't like them so I pulled the trigger and bought 5. Yes, a bit louder, and yes, a bit softer, but for my purposes, I am fine with the compromises. I took it to Mohave a few weeks ago and it performed much better than I expected. Obviously, it doesn't address the small sidewall issue, but given those limitations, I think its a great choice if you want a good AT and prefer to not go the 18in route....

Of course, your mileage might vary (literally..), but it works for me. I have heard airing it up a bit might deal with it being softer, but I haven't tried it yet....I don't have a problem with the LR4 driving like a truck!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't need something quite as aggressive check out the Wrangler SilentArmor. I think they are fantastic and great on the road, which is where I mostly use it. They have done well in winter/ice also which is a requirement for me.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
Seconded

I have almost 5k on my 255/55 19 Duratracs as well, really happy. Been in mud, snow and water-covered highways with no issues. I'm running them around 46 PSI front and rear as a personal preference. Ride is just fine.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my set of Duratracs (255/55/19) through the winter, and they destroyed the snow and ice. Great in bad weather. I ran them at 45psi all around to help with the super soft ride.

It's the super soft ride that prompted me to swap back to "street" tires for the summer. The Duratracs suck the life out of the truck. Bad acceleration, bad braking, bad handling. All those I can handle in the winter when I'm driving slower. But now that the weather's getting better, I'm happy to have my lively truck back.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran my set of Duratracs (255/55/19) through the winter, and they destroyed the snow and ice. Great in bad weather. I ran them at 45psi all around to help with the super soft ride.

It's the super soft ride that prompted me to swap back to "street" tires for the summer. The Duratracs suck the life out of the truck. Bad acceleration, bad braking, bad handling. All those I can handle in the winter when I'm driving slower. But now that the weather's getting better, I'm happy to have my lively truck back.

Which is one reason I went with the Silent Armors... they don't suck the life out of it as much. They aren't as quite or smooth as the OE tires, They are still moderately aggressive A/T tires... but they are not as aggressive as the dutracs either .

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is one reason I went with the Silent Armors... they don't suck the life out of it as much. They aren't as quite or smooth as the OE tires, They are still moderately aggressive A/T tires... but they are not as aggressive as the dutracs either .

What size are your SAs? For some reason I didn't think the SAs were available in 255/55/19s when I was shopping (and I really wanted to keep that OEM profile).

I don't regret getting the Duratracs, though. I was going to go with a snow tire for the winter no matter what, but now with my Duratrac set, I've got tires that get me through the snow, and also a weekend on the trails. My Nittos keep the commute enjoyable.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think they had silent armors in that size...and nothing in our size shows up on the GY website...in fact, there seems to be fewer options than there were a few years ago...are they being phased out?
I briefly had them on my Grand Cherokee before it was lemon lawed and was quite satisfied with them. I would have definately thought about using them if I knew they were available in an appropriate size...

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed 4 duratracs after the original continentals were toast at 28K miles. They look great. The guy at the tire shop hadn't heard of them and ordered them for me upon my request. After installing them on the LR4 he took pictures and complimented me on the look. We'll see if the wear better than the continentals.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've had a couple of sets of SAs on our LR3 and have been pretty impressed. Ride is a lot more firm than stock given the sidewall and tread stiffness, but overall wear has been good and snow traction was probably better than expected (although still nowhere near a snow+ice tire.) Handling is close to stock, so the ride balance of tire for me. Only wish is to have them be a little more forgiving over bumpy pavement, created some rattles in the cabin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV