How shall I fix my sunburnt rooftop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just discovered this patch on my roof. Is it oxidation or sunburnt or both? Any suggestions on how I can fix it? Or is it safe to leave it alone?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't usually use internet acronyms but, LOL, you've had this vehicle how long and only now looked at the roof ?! ;) It should be part of the purchase inspection just like looking underneath for dents or rust. The glass could've been cracked and that would cost a bit to fix!

Anyway, Land Rover has a warranty for body shell corrosion or perforation. I'd look into that as well as discuss with the dealer you bought from. It looks strange to me. My 2007 has been outside almost 100% since 2007 and the paint looks new aside from rock chipping or light scratches in the clear coat from brush. What you've got there looks abnormal.

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks jwest. I just checked online for the corrosion and anti perforation and supposedly that warranty is only offered for 6 years. Sucks. I did show it to a body shop today and they suggested that it is some oxidation / sun burn that has happened by being in the sun too long. Their plan to deal with it is to throughly sand paper it out and then apply a fresh coat of paint over that panel only.

Think I should do it?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they used the words "sand paper", then I think I'd find a better place. A second opinion may be well worth your time.

The roof rails will need to be removed if there are any and the trim. Considering that nobody can see it, really good waxing should keep it at bay for a while if you want to wait.

You're in Pasadena area right?

paula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, jwest. I am in Pasadena area.

Ok - let me start w a good waxing job for now. Thanks

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a wash and a wax are going to help you on that. Looks like the clearcoat has worn away and when that happens the unprotected paint is exposed to the elements and between that, and it being in an area where it is constantly exposed to the slipstream of air going across it, the paint has worn away.

I think your only option is to have it resprayed by a reputable body shop. They will respray it and feather the spray to match it with the adjacent part of the body that will not be resprayed. This is done so you don't see an abrupt change between the old paint and the new paint. After that they'll clear coat it and wet sand it. Price is going to depend on how big an area needs to be painted.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a wash and a wax are going to help you on that. .

There must be some products that are not just basic wax. I did not mean simple "wash and wax".

Best plan long term though is top notch body shop. At least get a couple other opinions.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are products that are more than just basic waxes or polishes. It really looks like his problem is something that they might cover up for a few weeks or months but jwest is right, the best long term plan is a top notch body shop.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on how far gone it is. I had this on my Discovery (and the hood too) and a detailer was able to buff/compound it out. I was shocked he could do it - may be worth a try.

Of course I sold it a month later, so maybe it would not have lasted...

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, jwest. I am in Pasadena area.

Ok - let me start w a good waxing job for now. Thanks

My guess on cost for a high quality job is at least $500. Removal of the trim is required and probably something at the edge of the top of the windshield. You don't by any chance also need a new windshield do you? I'd wait to do the roof for when you do need the glass and then they can bring the paint and clearcoat down below the trim/gasket.

The other edges will be easy because there is trim to remove and replace without damaging it. The trickiest edge will be at the rear glass roof into that little gap/trough where lots of crud builds up. It will need to be cleaned 3-4 times to get every little bit of impurities out that will cause clearcoat to peel away in time.

Oh, then there's taking the paint down into the sunroof too but that should not be too hard for them. Maybe $800 total. Better to have it done very well or not at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72