Current Mercedes Owner Contemplating purchasing an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max2105

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Mercedes used to tell customers similar non-sense stories. Oil is oil no matter where used and should be routinely replaced to ensure longevity of the components. Now they went back to a tranny oil replacement schedule.
I've replaced(not flushed) the tranny fluid on all my vehicles regardless of mileage (bought them with 50 to 120K miles) and never had problems. I have a 2001 E320 with almost 200K miles and the tranny shifts very smoothly. I replace it every 40-50K. If you do wait a long time, then I guess it's possible that carbon plaques build up. I'm against flushing for that reason.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will find more availability if you don't need the HD package (low range gearing, rock crawl terrain mode and a full size spare.)

Just be to be clear, every LR3 and LR4 prior to 2014 came standard with "low range gearing" and terrain response with "rock crawl".

It was only with the 2014 V6 introduction that low range became optional. The HD package in 2005-2013 models only consisted of an electronically locking rear differential and a full size spare. The spare of course can be added by the consumer at any time. The rear differential can also be replaced with an air locking design from ARB at any time for anyone who would really make use of it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But there's a rather substantial cost difference. I had a LandCruiser years ago, so the LX/LC was on my short list, but in the end, it was something like $30k more. If you find the two comparable, decision is pretty easy...

$30k is VERY misleading in that this thread is referring to used cars (I think?) and the current body style for Land Cruiser 200 series and LX 570 started in 2008, such that those prices are much, much closer to LR4 prices which started in 2010.

With the LR it depends on the options though. LC/LX basically come with everything and paints are all the same $.

Similarly, a loaded 2015 LR4 is $72-$75k....(yes, sounds ridiculous doesn't it?) but a Land Cruiser can be bought every day for the usual discount price of $72k. That is not $30k difference! Even if you just compare MSRP, there's never a $30k difference.

Even when I bought my LR3 new for $55k, before prices got silly, a 2006 Land Cruiser was $62k. Basically the same money when you're at that level.

The only way you can get to a $30k difference is by comparing a base, zero options, LR4 from 2010 or 2011 before prices started going up.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Mercedes used to tell customers similar non-sense stories. Oil is oil no matter where used and should be routinely replaced to ensure longevity of the components. Now they went back to a tranny oil replacement schedule.
I've replaced(not flushed) the tranny fluid on all my vehicles regardless of mileage (bought them with 50 to 120K miles) and never had problems. I have a 2001 E320 with almost 200K miles and the tranny shifts very smoothly. I replace it every 40-50K. If you do wait a long time, then I guess it's possible that carbon plaques build up. I'm against flushing for that reason.

I'm going to tell you that while I do love my Land Rovers, I do NOT consider them to be multi-hundred thousand mile vehicles. Not all benzes are either, however, I think there is greater potential for longevity with certain MB models with less repairs. My LR3 with just over 100k represents over 400,000 miles covered in 3 Land Rovers. Half of that was in the '96 though.

I just drove a friend's 2013 Land Cruiser with an aftermarket suspension and 33" Duratracs. It handled incredibly well, much nicer than any LR4 can ever hope to do, but it depends on personal preferences.

aj22

Reaction score
$30k is VERY misleading in that this thread is referring to used cars (I think?) and the current body style for Land Cruiser 200 series and LX 570 started in 2008, such that those prices are much, much closer to LR4 prices which started in 2010.

With the LR it depends on the options though. LC/LX basically come with everything and paints are all the same $.

Similarly, a loaded 2015 LR4 is $72-$75k....(yes, sounds ridiculous doesn't it?) but a Land Cruiser can be bought every day for the usual discount price of $72k. That is not $30k difference! Even if you just compare MSRP, there's never a $30k difference.

Even when I bought my LR3 new for $55k, before prices got silly, a 2006 Land Cruiser was $62k. Basically the same money when you're at that level.

The only way you can get to a $30k difference is by comparing a base, zero options, LR4 from 2010 or 2011 before prices started going up.

Hmm, didn't notice the used car part, but then if so, it's all irrelevant - you can get in a pretty cheap used rolls or ferrari...

Anyway, my 2014 HSE was under $60k, and around NYC, it looked like I'd be paying $85k for an LC/LX, though I didn't start negotiations as I had decided against. A Land Cruiser at 72k isn't that bad... That said, I really hate Toyota ergonomics. I had a 2000 Land Cruiser, and a 2011 Sienna. Both annoying as hell. The cruise control is maddening, the Sienna climate controls are designed by a madman, and the rear cargo/seat situation of the Land Cruiser is a negative for me. But I digress...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still, MSRP was not $85k a year ago. It was $83k at most even with dealer added on BS like locking wheel nuts, remote start, etc. Many dealers even advertise at $73,500 which must drive the hardline msrp dealers nuts ;)

Regardless, not $30k. I don't think it's fair to really compare a non-loaded LR4 to a non-optionable Land Cruiser where you just pick your two colors and sign ;)

Anyway, if you want to use a mix of functional seating design and cargo space as the comparison, then there is no comparison in the North American market as a whole except for a runner-up in the Mercedes GL. The GL is actually quite good in that regard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi