Overland Expo, Tim Scully and Multipoint Winch "Cradle"s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I played with this a bit this afternoon to make sure I understand how it works. All of the comments below assume you are in the Offroad Nav screen which you get to by being in the main Nav screen then hitting the Nav hard button again which gives use the option to swap modes.

I don't see a way that you can Trace (that is how you leave breadcrumbs) and then use the navigation/guidance function to follow those breadcrumbs back. You can of course see the breadcrumbs but you would need to be checking the nav screen regularly to see if you are still on the breadcrumbs. And you can't "save" the breadcrumbs as a route.

If you want to save a Route, your press the New Route button. This button will change and display the number 1 in a circle. At the bottom of the screen you will see an OK button. Don't touch that until you are done driving your "route". When creating a new route you can also have it tracing as that will give you visual clues when returning.

But the key thing is to save waypoints along your route. Whenever there is a Y or if there is a significant change in direction press the button that originally said New Route and now has become a number. Every time you press that button it will save a waypoint for the route and display it on the map and the button will increment.

After you have driven as far as you want click the OK button at the bottom of the screen and it will save the route.

When you save a route it will ask you if you want to open it or something like that. You can if you want or you can wait and load it later.

If you choose to do it later it is easy. Lets say you get back in the vehicle after doing whatever you do at your destinations. Camel races or whatever. ;-) Now you want to follow the same route back.

Get back into the Offroad Nav Screen/Mode. Press the Nav Menu button on the screen. (It will look very different than the On Road Nav menu.)

You should have a button for Load Route. The press on the route you want to load. (They are named by date/time). When it loads you will be given the options of Forward or Backward. These allow you follow the route in the recorded direction or in reverse. I think there is also a Start button which will give you a bearing to the Start.

No here is the difference between On Road and Off Road. The directions are given in bearings to the next Waypoint. So if you didn't save any waypoints you will simply get a green line from the Start to the End (or End to Start). The green line will not follow the trace points although you can see them. Saving waypoints more often may help keep you on track. If you're simply making a straight shot across the desert and only need a bearing to the next waypoint then you should be good.

And you can even get Voice Guidance! As you pass each waypoint, Lara will tell your the bearing to the next waypoint and how far it is (as the crow flies.)

You also have options to edit routes (probably add/delete waypoints but I haven't played with this.)

Routes appear to be saved indefinitely.

So the key to saving a route for return is the use of Waypoints as the Trace marks are just there for visual cues.

You do need to make sure that you have turned on the display of trace points. When you press the Trace button you will get a menu that lists sets of traces. I have only seen an item in the list for "Current...". Make sure this is "orange" or enabled by pressing it. I am guessing that having additional sets of trace points happens when you create a new route with Tracing enabled but I haven't tried that.

There are likely other options but that should be enough to get your started so you can then play around.

Thanks very much Dan! I will give this a shot on my next trip out. There are nearly no visual clues out there, so I will be mashing waypoint like no tomorrow! lol

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here are some pics of the multipoint winch thing with a tow hitch receiver that Tim fabricated for an RRS.

Disappointing that like the Terrafirma winch tray, you lose the impact protection in front of the tires.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does that compare with the Devon 4x4 D44 version? I think it looked beefier right?

The D44 winch setup maintains the bumper coverage in front of the front tires (notice the extended box section on either side of the outside frame). This is the same as the stock metal insert of the bumper for crash protection.

Versus the terrafirma which I'm using that does not include the coverage.

Attachments

• P1010581-s.jpg
    P1010581-s.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member