2014 LR4: Metal in brake pad causes squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like it's coming from the rear end (but is hard to confirm 100% as I'm always driving when it happens). I'll follow up with the dealer - thanks Umberto!

PS
I'm LOVING my V6 rotary shifter LR4. Can't believe all this "gotta get a 2013 or earlier" rabble I keep reading :eviltongu

:aetsch:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS
I'm LOVING my V6 rotary shifter LR4. Can't believe all this "gotta get a 2013 or earlier" rabble I keep reading :eviltongu

:aetsch:

LOL! I have gotten over my initial frustrating with it. But, after all, when I'm sitting in the queue outside the kids school I can set my Starbucks coffee on it as the circumference of the bottom of a Starbucks cup fits perfectly on the rotary shifter knob (when the knob is down.) Just as long as you don't leave it there when you start the car. After all, is that what an LR4 is for? Driving the kids to/from school with Starbucks within reach?

Seriously. At 28 and 30 we don't drive our boys to school anymore. And when I am stopped with the engine off it is convenient to have the space on top of the shifter knob to set something like a camera, tablet or a serving of 5 Guys french fries.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after reproducing the problem two more times and verifying that a quick toggle of the parking brake resolved the issue for the time being I booked an appointment with the SJ dealer again (3rd time for this issue). They had the car for 1.5 days and dismantled and put back together the parking brake (noting that nothing was abnormal) and again replaced the rear brake pads (surprised they did this as they were just replaced a month or so ago).

I don't know what to think yet, it will take weeks of driving before I feel confident that the problem has been resolved.

I can say I'm super happy with the dealer, they provide a loaner each time (I feel like an old person driving Jags though!). And best of all, they are without question servicing my LR4 for an issue (noise) that they have yet to actually hear because it's rare to occur.

We'll see, fingers crossed.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm happy to say that I'm 99.9% confident the problem has been resolved. 40 days later and the noise has yet to repro.

Appears that whatever process was done to take apart and put back together the parking brake corrected the irritating noise. Getting new rear brake pads at 8k didn't suck either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA