Current Mercedes Owner Contemplating purchasing an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max2105

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a long time (over 15 years) Mercedes owner of several vehicles. Currently my wife drives a 2002 ML 500 and would love to have an LR4 (ML 500 would become my vehicle). I do ALL the service, maintenance and 95% of the repairs on all my vehicles resorting to the dealer when absolutely necessary. I'm very familiar with Mercedes vehicle's shortcomings but must plead ignorance when it comes to the Land Rover brand.
What are the typical things I should be looking for when buying a used LR4?
What are its major shortcomings and things to avoid?
Purchasing one of these vehicles is a very significant expense and I don't want to encounter major surprises. I'm not afraid to do some initial work to bring the vehicle to top condition but don't want to spend 1/2 my weekends performing driveway repairs either.
Thanks!!

Sergio

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergio, there are several recent and very informative threads on this exact scenario here on the forum. It seems like most of them ended well in terms of the members finding solid pre-owned vehicles and doing their search with their eyes wide open to what to look for. Check around a bit-- these threads may either answer all of your questions or help you dial into more specific areas of inquiry. Welcome to the forum. We love our LR4s here! --Chris

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergio, if buying used, I would highly recommend you buy one with a CPO warranty. Out of warranty, our LR3 averaged $5000/year in repairs. Around 70K miles you will need to replace the majority of the front suspension including control arms, bushings, tie-rods, ball joints, etc. These are heavy vehicles.

I was a loyal Audi driver for 20+ years, so I know where you are coming from. The Land Rover ownership experience is similar. You are buying a vehicle with soul, character and personality. Definitely not a Toyota transportation appliance. But once you own one, you will know that any other SUV just isn't as capable in all weather conditions, on and off road.

I just bought a used 2013 to replace our LR3. Since we already own a 2013, I had to have the V8. (2014 & 2015 have a SCV6) There are some nice low mileage 2012 & 2013 LR4's out there. If you want features like nicer leather, memory seats, heated steering wheel, etc. then get an HSE LUX. If going offroad a lot, get one with the heavy duty package which adds a locking rear differential and full size spare.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a long time (over 15 years) Mercedes owner of several vehicles. Currently my wife drives a 2002 ML 500 and would love to have an LR4 (ML 500 would become my vehicle).

Sergio

What does she like so much in the LR4? Has she driven one? Has she driven a newish Lexus LX 570...? Handling is mush nicer, engine and transmission feel just a bit better, similar high viewpoint seating, similar overall size. It's built a bit better underneath and has very good seats as well as ventilation.
LX is quieter inside due to better sound proofing but also double laminated front side windows. Knee airbag and sunroof that actually has a solid blockout panel rather than a silly mesh screen.

The LX is not as funky or quirky, but it is pretty awesome in it's own right.

I've been comparing these a lot recently, 2 hr test drives in both, rough roads, dirt, highway cruising. I think I want both an LR4 and an LX 570 ;)

aj22

Reaction score
What does she like so much in the LR4? Has she driven one? Has she driven a newish Lexus LX 570...? Handling is mush nicer, engine and transmission feel just a bit better, similar high viewpoint seating, similar overall size. It's built a bit better underneath and has very good seats as well as ventilation.
LX is quieter inside due to better sound proofing but also double laminated front side windows. Knee airbag and sunroof that actually has a solid blockout panel rather than a silly mesh screen.

The LX is not as funky or quirky, but it is pretty awesome in it's own right.

I've been comparing these a lot recently, 2 hr test drives in both, rough roads, dirt, highway cruising. I think I want both an LR4 and an LX 570 ;)

But there's a rather substantial cost difference. I had a LandCruiser years ago, so the LX/LC was on my short list, but in the end, it was something like $30k more. If you find the two comparable, decision is pretty easy...

max2105

Reaction score
Thanks Paul.
I've replaced control arms, ball joints, tie rods, struts, coil springs on my vehicles before so I'm not afraid of the work nor will I pay someone to do it. Buying a vehicle that has a warranty (CPO) usually costs so much more! Obviously if I can find something in my price range that has a warranty I would buy it.
Why does she like the LR4 so much? After almost 24 years of marriage I've learned not to ask so many questions. When she has her mind set to something, it's difficult to change it. Her best friend used to have an LR4 and my wife did drive it. She fell in love with the vehicle. I don't think I would ever convince her to go for a Lexus or similar. I must admit I also love the look and having sat in one, I love everything about it but NO, I did not drive one yet.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should drive one, Max. And spend some time inside it. Work with it. Try things out. For example,
reconfiguring the seats seems clunky at first. It is not push-button and automatic. But after a few tries I do it without even thinking. That said, working with it a bit will help prevent the, "Darn, I wish I'd known that and it really bothers me."
- I thought I would hate the heated windshield wires and noticed them like crazy the first week or so. But I haven't even thought about them for months.
- Sit in the 2nd row.
- Sit in the 3rd row.
- While you are sitting in the 3rd row, trying "standing up". (You actually have to hunch/bend over but at least you can straighten your legs.)
- Then, with the 3rd row seat(s) down, flip the seat cushion up and over so you can sit on it. (This gives you a quick place to sit if you are arranging things or kids in the back of the vehicle.)
- If you will have people using the 3rd row from time to time, roll the 2nd row forward for access and then climb in and out a couple of times.
- Imagine how you will use the cargo area. Luggage, stuff, etc. If this is your wife's vehicle then she of course should do all of this. When I was researching the LR4 for myself, I asked a woman in a supermarket parking lot if and why she like hers. One of the first things she said was the split tailgate with the 3rd row seats up (deployed) because she could set her groceries just over the lower tailgate and behind the 3rd row.
- Be sure to try getting in and out with the LR4 in the lowered "access" mode. And if you are looking at the LUX model, with the drivers seat in the "Auto" mode where it will lower and back up a bit when you turn off the engine to make access easier. This may be meaningful to your wife.
- Make sure the driver's seat will achieve a good, comfortable position for driving. My wife is 5'2" but even worse most of that is in her legs. So with her shorter torso she needs a seating positioning that can get her high enough. (On our 2014 Acura MDX she needed a booster pillow.)

I guess the bottom line is that you will spend 1,000 times more time inside the vehicle, using it, than outside looking at it. And it is those little things about how it works that can make you love or hate it.

And, of course, if you are considering another vehicle, do the same so you can compare. The interior is not Mercedes-like. Nor is it Toyota (LC, LX) like.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more point on the LR4. They have been making improvements in each model year. Some MYs are minor. Some are significant such as improved air suspension systems. So it is certainly possible that the issues experienced by LR3 owners or even 2010 and 2011 LR4 owners will be less likely with the newer models. Although I have a 2014 as I wanted something new, many love the V8 which is not available for the '14 and '15. This makes the '12 and '13 a bit of a sweet spot. The improvements gained through experience with older models as well as the V8. If you plan to go used that is.

And one more thing. If this is for your wife, it is likely she will not be taking it seriously off road. So you probably don't need the Heavy Duty package. You will find more availability if you don't need the HD package (low range gearing, rock crawl terrain mode and a full size spare.)

max2105

Reaction score
Any transmission issues? What's the consensus with fluid interval change (transmission, differentials, transfer case). Is Land Rover a proponent of "fluids are sealed for life" or do they recommend fluid change intervals?
Thanks

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any transmission issues? What's the consensus with fluid interval change (transmission, differentials, transfer case). Is Land Rover a proponent of "fluids are sealed for life" or do they recommend fluid change intervals?
Thanks

What my lead service rep told me recently is that LR recommends NOT changing the transmission fluid for at least 100K if not further. The process of changing fluid can actually introduce issues. As transmissions sometimes get very hot you can create what I think of as carbon "plaque". When you change the fluid some of this can possibly break loose. Even if you do an awesome job of flushing/cleaning you can introduce a potential risk. So if possible they prefer you keep it a close system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72