Four corners tour

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As of the 31st of May, a friend and I will be taking a trip from Albuquerque to Ouray/Telluride -Denver - Moab - Grand Canyon and back to ABQ. Only one vehicle, no winch.

I scheduled this a while back as my wife and I are moving to NYC, on July 1st, for at least a year and I really want a chance to see these places one more time.

Ouray will be a first for me and we will be there from the 31st of May through June 4th
Denver for a night or two.
I've been to Moab and hope to do a few of the more mythical trails this time. We will be there from the 5th or 6th of June until the 11th.
Grand Canyon, one night, mainly sightseeing.

If you guys have any recommendations, please give them now.
Also if some of you are in these areas, let's link up for a trail or two.

Thank you

tucsontom

Reaction score
Some of the passes - like Imogene from Ouray to Telluride(or rev.) may still have snow at the top early June- just ask around town and the locals will know what has been plowed up that high. 1 big section of snow can render an entire route an "in and out" instead of a thru tour. Same goes for Cinnamon and Engineers passes. Doing one of those is a must do - find out what is open.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very true.
We will be doing some research on this.
Our goal is to do as many of them as possible.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Stony Pass out of Silverton is one of my favorites. I had a house in Silverton for 18 years. And that one is great - not technical really - but low range is nice. - there is one turn that is easy to miss above Cunningham Gulch - so a map is good to have. Or you will end up doing a side trip to the Old One hundred mine trail head and above - all good too - but that one is not plowed for sure. Stony should be . .

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this sounds like great ideas. I'm going to look up these trails and see which ones we'll do.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Old One Hundred

The Mine outbuildings from the hiking trail above

Attachments

• Silverton fall 2010 060_edited-1.jpg
    Silverton fall 2010 060_edited-1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Tom pointed out, you're probably a month or so early for the Ouray area. Moab and So Utah will be awesome as it is not too hot and the trails have pretty much dried out. But I would lock in your lodging as it is a popular time there. Most the mountains here in CO have been getting a ton of moisture this month. The Grand Junction area may be good but the Front Range is pretty soggy/muddy if not snowy this weekend.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Tom pointed out, you're probably a month or so early for the Ouray area. Moab and So Utah will be awesome as it is not too hot and the trails have pretty much dried out. But I would lock in your lodging as it is a popular time there. Most the mountains here in CO have been getting a ton of moisture this month. The Grand Junction area may be good but the Front Range is pretty soggy/muddy if not snowy this weekend.

I was hoping to do this trip a little later but our move to NYC is forcing these dates on us. I'm staying positive though and hope for a fast (very) warm up. We've been having an incredibly rainy and haily last month here in Albuquerque as well. Plenty of snow too passed the 6,000ft mark.

tucsontom

Reaction score
There is plenty to wheel - having been there in late May many times - there is lots to see and explore - you just can't always summit passes - but it is still great! Do it!

Ophir Pass - is the first one they plow thru and it is spectacular to drive thru after they have plowed that pass.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi