PSA for 2015 LR4 owners - eletrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSA for 2015 LR4 owners - electrical issue

We got our '15 LR4 Lux right around the new year and almost immediately ran into an unknown issue. Periodically the car would show a string of warnings - HDC fault, stability control unavailable, emergency brake assist not available - which would result in the car dropping to the bump stops and losing access to any of the terrain response programs. It cleared after a restart on a couple of occasions, but after about 2 weeks it happened again and could not be cleared by restarting or even pulling the battery terminals. Took it in to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as a sticking exhaust valve in the compressor for the air suspension. After picking the car up, go home and upon the first restart, the errors appeared again. Back to the dealer...

The dealer opened up a case with LRNA and were told of an issue that LR is becoming aware of that may affect all '15 models with the cooler box. They said the box is remaining active after the ignition is turned off, which is somehow interfering with the signals on the BUS, including the data from the suspension sensors. They only have a temporary solution which was to pull the related fuse for the cooler box (#16). LR is working on a permanent fix but no ETA on when it will be released.

Just wanted to pass this along in case others have a similar issue. They looked for a solution for a week before getting this info. I talked to another dealer who was not aware of it yet. The only thing I have thus far is a TSB number SSM-72146. Will update if I hear of a permanent fix.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the Special Service Message. No TSB yet, I assume one will be posted when the "permanent solution" is found.

Reference SSM72143
Models LR4 / L319
Title 2015 LR4 Air Suspension and All Terrain Module Fault Codes
Category Electrical
Last modified 16-Jan-2015 00:00:00
Symptom 206000 Warning Indicators
Content
2015 LR4 ONLY fitted with Center Console Cool Box

Concern:
Customer complains of multiple warning indicators illuminated upon start up of their vehicle. "Air suspension innactive" and or "Special programs off" warning messages may appear in the Instrument Cluster message center.

Subsequently, the Air Suspension / Ride Level Module (RLM in SDD) flags U0416-68 and the All Terrain Control Module (ATCM in SDD) flags U0415-68.

Cause:
Stray voltage may be back feeding from the vehicle's Cool Box.

Correction:
When both of the above mentioned fault codes are flagged and the issue can be replicated, check to see if the vehicle is fitted with the Cool Box in the center console. If so, ensure, the Cool Box has been switched off prior to switching the ignition off. Switching the Cool Box off before vehicle shutdown, is a temporary solution for the problem as the root cause is still being investigated. Land Rover is aware that if the Cool Box is left on and the igntion is switched off, the Cool Box may induce voltage causing the Air Suspension and All Terrain Module to remain active on the vehicle's CAN when they should have been signaled off. A further communication will be issued when the concern has been fixed permanently.

If the vehicle is presented to service with these specific conditions and the vehicle does not have a Cool Box, or if its confirmed the Cool Box was turned off when the ignition was switched off, ensure a TA case is raised if diagnostic support is required.

GreeN YarN

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. We've had our '15 for right about a month without any problems.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it cold when this happened? I had a similar issue with my 2012.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=154276

My dealer found a bad brake light switch that would stick in the cold.

It was cold, extremely cold but also happened when warm. As an owner of an LR3 I am unfortunately well aware of the brake light switch issue. This looks almost the same but is a different issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is SSB 72146 posted somewhere? Guess we'd better pull fuse 16 in the meantime. Wonder if this is a matter of shielding the box or nearby CAN twisted pair.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is SSB 72146 posted somewhere? Guess we'd better pull fuse 16 in the meantime. Wonder if this is a matter of shielding the box or nearby CAN twisted pair.

I have not seen it but maybe you can find it in TOPIx?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72