Poor quality surround camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Dave

Reaction score
I recently traded in my 2010 LR4 for a 2015 with the vision package surround camera system. Everything works fine (no blue screen issues), but the video quality is MUCH worse than my 2010. Anyone notice this? I'm not only talking about the camera images, but everything, text, buttons, etc. Everything other than camera related (nav, audio, etc) is crystal clear.

Maybe a poor quality connection between the camera box under the seat and the head unit?

On my 2010 I had all the blue-screen issues which were eventually fixed, but the video quality was always good.

Just wanted to check with others before I pursue with the dealer...

Thanks,
Dave.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have an earlier model year to compare, but the resolution of my 2013 surround cameras is..., uh, I am guessing VGA level. Good enough to glimpse at it and make things out, but nowhere close to Hi Def for sure. They serve their purpose (I also clean the lenses of all 5 every now and then), but they won't impress anyone with their clarity. Did you have surround camera on the 2010 as well or just the backup cam? Cars fitted with backup camera only use an analog system, while surround camera systems are digital. I suspect analog cameras may offer better resolution than these cheapos digital surround systems Land Rover uses.

Last edited:

LR4Dave

Reaction score
My 2010 had the 5 surround cameras, not just the backup camera. I tow a small trailer and the Tow Assist feature was pretty cool while backing the trailer into tight spots. But with the new "VGA interlaced" quality the yellow and blue tracking lines are almost impossible to see.

One thing I do remember on my 2010 was that the quality went from perfect to a little less clear when they replaced all five camera cables to fix the "blue-screen" problem. Maybe on the 2012 and later nav update they made more severe "fixes" for the intermittent issue which lowered overall picture quality.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72