Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How come no one seems to consider the General Grabber AT/AT 2?
Australians Land Rover owners seem to really like them as well as Europeans...
Thoughts?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How come no one seems to consider the General Grabber AT/AT 2?
Australians Land Rover owners seem to really like them as well as Europeans...
Thoughts?
Hey Axel,

I know a guy from the Land Rover instagram page just e-mailed me that he got the Compomotive wheels and getting the General Grabber AT 2. They seem llike really nice tires and a totally great choice. I actually looked into them, but the sizes they offered were not what I was looking for in a tire with my 18" wheels.

-David

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Axel,

I know a guy from the Land Rover instagram page just e-mailed me that he got the Compomotive wheels and getting the General Grabber AT 2. They seem llike really nice tires and a totally great choice. I actually looked into them, but the sizes they offered were not what I was looking for in a tire with my 18" wheels.

-David

Same here.
I looked at General Grabber AT2 but 285/60R18 would need some modification to wheel wells I wanted to avoid. They did not have 265/65R18

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Axel,

-David

Good to hear David.

I'm still contemplating switching over to 18s.

Wondering if I should get 19s winter tires and then a set of 18s for rest of the year or simply get 18s with tires that handle well on snow and ice... Or third option get winter tires and coopers on the 19s I currently have.

As of July '14 I'll be in Albuquerque for a year and then NYC... Where I might have to (sadly) let go of the truck. The investment might be a lot for less than 2 years of usage.

Axel

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here.
I looked at General Grabber AT2 but 285/60R18 would need some modification to wheel wells I wanted to avoid. They did not have 265/65R18

FYI, there are absolutely no mods required with 285/60/18s, you'll just experience very mild rubbing and possible wear of a couple of areas of the wheel well liner only under full compression or steering lock, that will quickly fade as the tread wears out just a bit. As a matter of fact, the overall circumference and diameter of a 285/60/18 is fractionally smaller than a 265/65/18, so a 285/60/18 will actually be an easier fit - although still partially deflated - in the spare wheel well under the car than a 265/65.

The one "disadvantage" of the Grabber AT2 in that size is that it's an "E" tire, so you will trade a virtually indestructible sidewall and LT load capabilities off road for a very heavy tire that's likely to run noisy and stiff / uncomfortable on the road, as all E-rated tires normally do. A bit too much of a compromise for my needs, but from an off-roading perspective that tire must be right up there with the best of the best ATs (and it's snowflake rated and studdable for severe winter use to boot.)

Last edited:

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
FYI, there are absolutely no mods required with 285/60/18s, you'll just experience very mild rubbing and possible wear of a couple of areas of the wheel well liner only under full compression or steering lock, that will quickly fade as the tread wears out just a bit. As a matter of fact, the overall circumference and diameter of a 285/60/18 is fractionally smaller than a 265/65/18, so a 285/60/18 will actually be an easier fit - although still partially deflated - in the spare wheel well under the car than a 265/65.

The one "disadvantage" of the Grabber AT2 in that size is that it's an "E" tire, so you will trade a virtually indestructible sidewall and LT load capabilities off road for a very heavy tire that's likely to run noisy and stiff / uncomfortable on the road, as all E-rated tires normally do. A bit too much of a compromise for my needs, but from an off-roading perspective that tire must be right up there with the best of the best ATs (and it's snowflake rated and studdable for severe winter use to boot.)

I bought the AT/2 in 255/60R18 with XL load rating. This one was not rated for severe snow & ice (no snowflake) but from much personal experience in much snow, it performed truly amazing! As far as weight, they were quoted at 40lbs. My experience was in comparison to the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR/A tires that came with it, and these General Grabber AT/2 tires were superior in every way, except on-road handling. **Much** quieter (could be attributable to the poor condition & wear patterns on the Goodyear's). The turn-in response was definitely worse than the all-season, more road-oriented Goodyear Wranglers, but I was more biased toward all-terrain versus on-road capabilities and found these to be an awesome price point for that.

Here's what I paid (in 2010):

Attachments

• AT2 Tires.jpg
    AT2 Tires.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 110

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright about to make the purchase. Wheels and tires in 18.

What's the better size:
265/65R18
285/60R18

Looking at Toyo Open Country AT2 and General Grabber AT2.

I might also consider the size 265/70R18 and get the Gap IIDTool... Or is it too crazy?

What are your thought?

Most likely making the move this Thursday or Friday...

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright about to make the purchase. Wheels and tires in 18.

What's the better size:
265/65R18
285/60R18

Looking at Toyo Open Country AT2 and General Grabber AT2.

I might also consider the size 265/70R18 and get the Gap IIDTool... Or is it too crazy?

What are your thought?

Most likely making the move this Thursday or Friday...

Axel- I'm happy with my 265/65R18 size-wise. Steve (Kaaae) has the 285/60's. I don't think 265/70 would be too crazy... I will likely consider 275/65's when I get new tires as there are many more mud-terrain (MT) options.

By the way, the Owners' Day looked awesome. Wish I could make it to the Hanover Event... but I won't be back in town until the following week. I'll text you tomorrow, I've just been so ******* these past few days.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axel- I'm happy with my 265/65R18 size-wise. Steve (Kaaae) has the 285/60's. I don't think 265/70 would be too crazy... I will likely consider 275/65's when I get new tires as there are many more mud-terrain (MT) options.

By the way, the Owners' Day looked awesome. Wish I could make it to the Hanover Event... but I won't be back in town until the following week. I'll text you tomorrow, I've just been so ******* these past few days.
To jump on top of what Brandon says.... I'd go with at least the 265/65R18 size, as that is what I have currently with my BFG AT KOs on 18" Compomotives. I have the IIDTool, but only use it when off roading since I prefer to keep my truck at standard height. With that said, the 265/65R18 size does not rub on the BFGs, so I know they won't on your two choices. Both of your choices are great tires! I think I'd lean toward the Toyos, but man, both get great reviews. What size would you go in the General Grabber - I didn't think they had 265/65R18?

I may give my truck a little lift, but since I have the full roof rack, boxes, etc. on the roof, raising it only a little bit does make it worse than it already is on the road.

Can't wait to hear more about your set-up!!!! I'll be back in MA from Dec. 15-27, so we should get together.

-David

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Brandon,

Owner's day was a ton of fun and the lead instructor pointed me in the direction of a nice trail that we took on our way home.

LR Hanover/Cape Cod event will be fun. The obstacles will be set up by 2 former Camel Trophy guys... Guess what?!?! It is at the quarry that we talked about (and I went to)... Maybe we can go check it out once you're back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut