Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm getting that spare for sure. Thx for reassurance reg. the heat shield. And getting that spare on/off for winter/summer will only make my job easier if I ever really need to do it, which I most likely eventually will if I have enough fun out there.
I'm located in Chicago, but will check out Pro-Speed online to see what I am looking at.
The more I think/read about it the more I am convinced that skids/rock sliders as we'll as solid bumpers are a good idea if I don't want to be confined to parking lots or cause some substantial damage while on the trail. I guess you shouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight :)

It's only money my friend, ya can't take it with you!:wink:

Reaction score
2012 LR4 HSE tire options with 18 wheels

Yeah, I'm getting that spare for sure. Thx for reassurance reg. the heat shield. And getting that spare on/off for winter/summer will only make my job easier if I ever really need to do it, which I most likely eventually will if I have enough fun out there.
I'm located in Chicago, but will check out Pro-Speed online to see what I am looking at.
The more I think/read about it the more I am convinced that skids/rock sliders as we'll as solid bumpers are a good idea if I don't want to be confined to parking lots or cause some substantial damage while on the trail. I guess you shouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight :)

Hi,
So I'm pulling the trigger on the 18 Compomotive rims. Now I am looking at 285/60/18 and 285/65/18.
Could one of you guys remind me what would be required to fit the 285/65/18 tires? Some of you have already posted info reg. 285/60/18 and I may still choose those. But just curious about the overall diameter increase of the 285/65/18 and the ramifications. I did see a chart somewhere in the forum, but couldn't find it anymore.Does anyone run the 285/65/18 on a LR4?

Thanks!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the size may look similar, the 285/65 is much larger and will not work without modifications. (It's also a bit wide for an 8" wheel). The issue is not as simple as "overall diameter" because the tire is actually too wide and causes contact at numerous spots including the upper A arm flange and also whenever you turn to about 70%.

285/60x18 will fit fine but 265/65x18 is the most perfect maximum size for stock vehicles.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the rubbing issues you'd experience without modifications, you would also need to store your spare tire elsewhere, since you would not be able to fit a 285/65R18 in the spare wheel well under the car, not even when fully deflated. A 285/60/18 fits - barely and only if partially deflated after removing the exhaust heat shield, but you can winch it up there.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the guys said, it is NOT an insignificant difference in size!! It is just a shade over 1" larger than the 285/60s. This is a diameter issue and you are going to have significant rubbing on the framehorns turning lock to lock. Also, as Umberto pointed out, you will struggle to get it fitted in the spare space under the truck.

Here are your size comparisons:

Attachments

• 60.JPG
    60.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 65.JPG
    65.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the pointers. No 285/65s for sure!
Seems like it boils down to 285/60/18 vs. 265/65/18. Between those two, do you guys know the biggest difference in performance on/off road, other factors? The taller sidewall on the 265/65 may give more rim protection as well as possibly perform better off road, although that's just my guess. Not sure if taller side wall/narrower tire is a winner over smaller sidewall/wider tire. What is your opinion?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks again, I love this forum!
Bartek

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 265/65x18 is a better fit for the LR4 in all aspects. The only aspect the 285 wins is that it does look cool being wider.

There is appreciable ground clearance gained and the fit is better on the 265/65. From what I've seen there are also more tire choices in that size.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were back in the US on that type of terrain, I would go with 265/65. I am here in the Middle East on soft sand when offroad. That is why I went with the 285/60s. It is all about your footprint for "floating" on sand. I also have to air down to about 18psi.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... There is appreciable ground clearance gained...

About 0.05" gained. We are almost literally splitting hair, I think you would be happy with either sizes, they will both fit fine over the 8x18" rims available for the LR4. The 265s bulge out less than the 285s and have a smaller contact patch on the ground, which may yield fractionally better gas mileage and could be a plus - or a minus - off road, depending on the terrain you are negotiating.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like there is a misconception on side wall height here. A 285/60 and a 265/65 are essentially the same diameter at 31.5". That means the sidewalls are the same thickness. The second number in tire sizes are a percentage of the width (the first number), so 60% of 285mm is 171mm sidewall where 65% of 265mm is 172mm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut