North-east wheeling locations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
With the weather getting warmer for us in the North-east, I'm hoping to find more spots for wheeling. I have gone a few times to Rausch Creek, PA and love it. It’s about a 3 - 3.5 hrs drive from CT; not terrible but I'd like to find something north of me, for example; northern CT area, MA, VT or NH. Up-state CT and MA would be perfect for a day trip. With that said, I do enjoy making it a full weekend of camping and wheeling with the family – It’s all about the Adventure!

Suggestions anyone?

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw your email, I'll reply separately. But best bets are VT. Western MA only has 1-2 publicly accessible trails and they are fairly extreme. Take a look at the Vermont Overland site. VT has had legislation in place for a while now making recognized Class 4 roads legal byways for vehicle traffic, even when that occurs across private land. So there are literally a ton of trails available. The hard part is knowing where to go as they can change from season to season in difficulty. I would suggest signing up for a day trip or two, and definitely attending the Overland Rally in the fall. i usually work as staff on the Trophy trip but drive my d-90. What is nice about doing something with VO, is they will teach you how to download the trail maps from the VTtrans site and use them with your mobile device to find, mark and return to the trails you use. Among other things (like pre-running the trails).

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the weather getting warmer for us in the North-east, I'm hoping to find more spots for wheeling. I have gone a few times to Rausch Creek, PA and love it. It’s about a 3 - 3.5 hrs drive from CT; not terrible but I'd like to find something north of me, for example; northern CT area, MA, VT or NH. Up-state CT and MA would be perfect for a day trip. With that said, I do enjoy making it a full weekend of camping and wheeling with the family – It’s all about the Adventure!

Suggestions anyone?

Kevin, I started following @muddychef on Instagram and learned about The Muddy Chef Challenge (www.muddychef.com). It's billed as The Great Race Meets Top Chef.

Anyway, to your point, it started in Stowe, VT, but has moved to Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, CT. According to the site there are trail rides of varying difficulty. Looks like a fun crowd and the writeup on the event is pretty entertaining. Based on the video and photos at the site it looks like it attracts a lot of Defenders, Series, and older Discos. Come to think of it I didn't see any LR3/4s...

Whatever you do, don't bother looking for public offroading trails in Maryland. We got bupkis.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the MuddyChef, it looks very entertaining and I am toying with the idea of bringing the whole family.
ME, has a few trails system open to vehicles, look at the Jeep club websites for each individual state for more clarification on state laws and what trails are available. I know that Maine4x4 pay to maintain their trail systems, so are a little more picky about larger/heavier 4x4 vehicles going on them.

While you may not "fit in"(in a good way;)), most of them would be more than happy to have you come along.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the MuddyChef, it looks very entertaining and I am toying with the idea of bringing the whole family.

Just remember, you get style points if your campsite has an African Safari vibe. :laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_3986-1024x768.jpg
    IMG_3986-1024x768.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 34

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a giraffe and lion kids Halloween costume... Maybe set it up as an African safari/hunt ;) or I can work with them to be my "trophies" to sit still... highly unlikely since they are 2 and 5, but we can dream :)
The wheels are spinning :D

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somehow the Lazyboy appears a bit incongruous with an African theme. Unless that leather is Water Buffalo.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The duct tape is what sells it, along with the busted-off mud flap, and the "end tables" made of stacked Pelican cases. Work with me, Dan! :biggrin:
Wait is that you!!
This is one of the picture that sold me on the event :biggrin:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait is that you!!
This is one of the picture that sold me on the event :biggrin:

LOL, no that's not me, JagDoc! I just thought it captured the ethos of the event.

I joined a Land Rover Owners group on LinkedIn and someone posted a discussion topic about MuddyChef which I then tracked down on the web and on Instagram. When I saw this crazy photo in their feed, I knew I had to learn more about this group:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.55.18 AM | Fri Mar 20.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.55.18 AM | Fri Mar 20.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV