Buy new TPMS for 18" Compos or just disable with IIDTool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_J_F

Reaction score
When switching over to 18" Compos, how many of you guys just purchased an IIDTool and disabled TPMS vs going with new TPMS sensors?

I'm on the fence here, and am trying to weigh the pros and cons.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big con is the cost, unless you transfer your OEM sensors onto the Compos. In my opinion, if you will be running the 18" wheels 24/7 (on the road, not just off of it) like me, there are pros to having a working TPMS constantly checking the pressure of your tires, though.

kalR

Reaction score
When switching over to 18" Compos, how many of you guys just purchased an IIDTool and disabled TPMS vs going with new TPMS sensors?

I'm on the fence here, and am trying to weigh the pros and cons.

haha...I went through the same situation. My old TPMS sensors didnt fit. Someone commented on this forum that this is the case with Satin Black compos. Others seemed to have been able to reuse old sensors. I disabled the TPMS using IIDTool as I didnt want to spend the money on both. In 5 yrs I owned the LR4, the TPMS went off once every year during winter when temps were very low.

I wonder if your next question will be about black center hub caps and black lug nuts :smile:

P_J_F

Reaction score
The big con is the cost, unless you transfer your OEM sensors onto the Compos. In my opinion, if you will be running the 18" wheels 24/7 (on the road, not just off of it) like me, there are pros to having a working TPMS constantly checking the pressure of your tires, though.

I'll be running them 24/7, I'm leaning towards purchasing new sensors.

haha...I went through the same situation. My old TPMS sensors didnt fit. Someone commented on this forum that this is the case with Satin Black compos. Others seemed to have been able to reuse old sensors. I disabled the TPMS using IIDTool as I didnt want to spend the money on both. In 5 yrs I owned the LR4, the TPMS went off once every year during winter when temps were very low.

I wonder if your next question will be about black center hub caps and black lug nuts :smile:

Yeah, that is where I'm a bit confused if I can reuse the OEM sensors or not...

I did order the satin black ones.

Haha - already have black center caps ready to go!

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused my OE tpms sensors, no problems at all. I have anthracite compos. For some unexplained reason people with black compos had issues.
Does anyone know what is the difference between PD 1880 and PD 1881? Just curious.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the anthracite and had no issues. But I wanted to sets of wheels. Discount Tire initially set me up with after market sensors in my anthracite Compos. No go. So I shelled out the money and got a second set for OEM.

BTW, mine is a MY14 and they went to different sensors and radio signals so you can't mix older models with the MY14. I presume the MY15 is the same as the MY14.

Can't answer the 1880 vs 1881 question. Fact is that I'm not sure which ones I have!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason sensors are in the truck in the first place is because of DOT laws nowadays. If you can't tell you have a flat on big 18" tires, I don't know what to tell you. There's just no way I would pay out that crazy money for new sensors. IID Tool disabled was the way to go for me.

Added to the fact, I am often dropping PSI to <20 for sand driving the TPMS would be annoying the crap out of me.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an email from Barry at Compomotive I got last year (I think I might have posted it before, but anyway):

The PD1880 was the original incarnation of this special wheel fitment. In January of 2014 the tooling was changed internally to give more caliper space and improve slightly on the weight of the rim. Because a change was made a new part number was assigned to the product.

The changes were made with the knowledge gained form customer feedback and updated information available from Land Rover.

The face of the wheel remains unchanged so when put back to back they PD1880 and PD1881 look identical so are a direct replacement if a damaged wheel needs to be changed.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my compos, I bought some aftermarket TPMS. Since it seems like we both take our trucks on offroad trips, I think it's good to know the status of the tires.

P_J_F

Reaction score
I ping'd Barry @ compomotive in regards to some people reporting that their OEM TPMS did not fit on just the black Compos and he said:

Hi

How odd about the colour difference as the two colour options are made at the same time

I know that since 2012 you can use the stock tps system - the earlier units were not a direct fit

When the wheels get here I'll try swapping them over and report back if they don't fit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi