Check your water pump!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2010 LR4 and currently have a 2013 LR4 and both trucks encountered a faulty water pump at around the 30k mile range. Both times, I noticed the smell of coolant from the engine area. Obviously the repair is covered under warranty on both vehicles and while it could just be my own darn luck, it doesn't hurt for you to take a whiff or simply ask your dealer to perform some testing.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

My 2010 LR4 water pump blew up last Christmas (driving my parents around in snowy New England no less) at about 20,000 (very hard) miles. Total failure and blew all the coolant all over the engine bay. Fortunately...we were almost home and then I had her towed in; Dealer paid all expenses as it was still under warranty. The service rep there (and they are really excellent) said it is a common problem. Would have been a real disaster, though, if it happened when I was in Africa in the bush....might be a part to carry with.

nickcaraux

Reaction score
I have an 06 LR3 and i had water pump issues just two years ago. Also had to have my thermostat replaced, as well as my drive belts because of the coolant damage. So i guess this water pump issue is a problem even for newer models.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 LR3 and i had water pump issues just two years ago. Also had to have my thermostat replaced, as well as my drive belts because of the coolant damage. So i guess this water pump issue is a problem even for newer models.

What an LR3 water pump has to do with a LR4 ,these have totally different units as both engines are different 4.4 vs 5.0 liter.
I find an LR3 pump reliable as I am at 164 000 miles and still running strong.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut