Brake swap with LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, thinking about my inevitable upgrade to an LR4, I think that one of the single biggest drawbacks is the 19" rims and lack of 'fun' tire options that so many of you have grappled with. I suppose with not many other options, I would probably seek out some Compo's.

But now I'm wondering if it would be possible to swap on some LR3 brakes/discs/calipers, or would they not bolt up at all?

This thought hasn't even got to the 'see how much that would set me back' phase, I've just never seen it discussed.

Any opinions or intimate knowledge about this?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, question too dumb or too hard? I'm not sure I'm wanting to do this when the time comes, but would be curious if the LR4 has same caliper mount points, just bigger caliper and bigger disc? Or is everything just 'different'. I've always had a set of winter and summer rims and tires, sure don't want to buy 8 compomotives! (I think even snow tires have many many more choices in 18")

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help but think by the time you have put together parts (if its compatible) for a full set of LR3 brakes, you'd be into a sizable amount of the cost of Compomotives. Why downgrade brakes?

I don't think I have heard of anyone approaching wheel / tire options from this angle.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely haven't heard about it either - which is one reason I'm curious. Maybe I could patent my idea?!?! haha
My thinking was to do when it was time to replace brakes and rotors anyway so there wouldn't be any extra charge there, in fact probably a savings. And then buy calipers from a wrecked truck.

I've not had a problem with the LR3 brakes underperforming so I'm not worried about reduced performance. Has anybody that has gone from an LR3 to 4 commented on how much more awesome the braking is? I'm not sure. I'm definitely not ******* brakes anyway, I typically get 40-45k on a set of pads.

So anyway, the main reason is that I already have an extra set of LR3 rims, could put the 19's from the newly purchased LR4 on the LR3 I'd be selling. So I'd only be out the cost of salvaged calipers, have a stock looking LR4 and two sets of 18" rims - both with tires that have a reasonable amount of tread left.

I'm ok with the Compos looks, but I think I still prefer the stock look over them.

OH, and if it's possible, I'd also swap the old tail lights, the old fenders, mirrors and grill. :biggrin:

edit: duh, it just occurred to me that if I'm swapping rims between trucks, I could swap the brakes and calipers if it worked as well. I'm a little slllooooowww.
Just called AB, they have no idea if it'd work. hmmmmm.....

Last edited:

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake parts for Lr4

I traded my LR3 in for an LR4 in December of last year. The LR4 stops the same as my LR3. I also did some checking on the part numbers for the brake pads. I have some new parts I bought on sale for my LR3 that I hoped to use on the LR4. I found them to be the same pads, wear sensors, and other parts. The rotors don't look to be any different in size.
You should be able to use your 18 inch wheels on the LR4 but you will probably find you like the 19 inch wheels better. The finish is better, the brake dust cleans off better but the tires are more expensive. Good luck on your decision.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have heard of anyone approaching wheel / tire options from this angle.

This is incorrect, well not incorrect, but there is a vendor in Italy that has a kit so you can run 17" wheels if you want. They also have a 2nd wheel option to the compo's that is an 18x8.5" wheel that will fit over the stock braking system.

Overall I find that they have an interesting product list. Wasn't too long ago we were discussing the rear skid plate over on Expo.

Link:
MudTech4x4

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my LR3 in for an LR4 in December of last year. The LR4 stops the same as my LR3. I also did some checking on the part numbers for the brake pads. I have some new parts I bought on sale for my LR3 that I hoped to use on the LR4. I found them to be the same pads, wear sensors, and other parts. The rotors don't look to be any different in size.
You should be able to use your 18 inch wheels on the LR4 but you will probably find you like the 19 inch wheels better. The finish is better, the brake dust cleans off better but the tires are more expensive. Good luck on your decision.

This is very interesting that all the parts are the same size but LR3 OEM 18" wheels will not fit an LR4. It is a must that you have 1.25"-1.5" wheel spacers.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front rotors of the LR4 are larger than the LR3. They are the same rotors that used to be mounted on the 2005-2009 Supercharged RRS (therefore larger than LR3 and old, pre-2010 naturally aspirated Sport.) The calipers are larger as well. Pretty sure the brake pads - again, I am talking about the front brakes only - are also larger in the LR4 than the LR3. They are different part #s, and since they need to cover a wider rotor "area", that would only make sense. That's why 18" OEM wheels won't fit the LR4 but will clear the LR3 brakes.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so, as "architecturally" the cars are pretty much identical. Brakes are the last thing I would want to downsize in this morbidly obese vehicle personally, but mechanically it should be feasible, and the LR3 brakes just fine with the smaller brakes, so... I bet it's been done on the UK forum (haven't checked), they do all kinds of funky stuff there if you want to double check before ordering parts: www dot disco3 dot co dot uk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick