Brake swap with LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's sort of what I suspected. I've googled as far as my googlefu will take me, but haven't found anything. I have never had a problem braking as I have said, even while trailering so that doesn't worry me. It's one of those things that if I never experience those bigger brakes, I probably won't miss 'em.

I may not even do it, don't know yet. Just want to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe I'll join that sight and dig around.
Thanks!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roverman, if you stay with 19" wheels on an LR4, tire options are limited, but I have found two that work great.

In summer I'm running the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires. Most of our offroading is in sand on a nearby drive-on beach. They work great, even at full pressure.

In winter I'm running Nokian Hakkapelliitta R2 SUV winter tires. Awesome in all winter conditions, especially braking and turning this heavy vehicle on ice. They performed great through our winter with 110" of snow.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Paul Are both your sets stock size?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, both are 255/55/19. I replaced the OE Conti's at about 2K miles with the Coopers. For the winter tires, I picked-up a set of lightly used 19" LR4 wheels on ebay for $600.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was curious about braking distance. From what I've found online braking distance is pretty much equal, both 120 to 130 feet from 60-0. It's curious that both are the same.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the brakes on both the LR3 & LR4 feel the same, which IMO is very good for such a heavy vehicle.

As for 0-60, you will certainly notice a big difference with the LR4's 5.0 V8.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the brakes on both the LR3 & LR4 feel the same, which IMO is very good for such a heavy vehicle.

As for 0-60, you will certainly notice a big difference with the LR4's 5.0 V8.

My lr3, even fully loaded at 8200 lbs has never felt particularly wanting for more braking ability. I think at these limits it's the tire composition and contact patch on the surface that is more important in addition to the actual rotor and pad chosen. For example, I'd be more interested in seeing comparisons between factory and EBC, or Brembo, and others.

I may get into an LR4 at some point but I have 3 extra sets of 5 wheels per set, so, I'd probably do my best to change the lr4 brakes to allow the 18" wheels I have already invested in setting up.

Most annoying thing may actually be the tpms inside each if the MgHz doesn't match up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi