Gotta love LR service charges - Brake flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chalk this up to another "dealer ripoff" charge.

I do most of my maintenance myself, oil, brake pads, rotors, cabin filters, diff oil, transfer case oil, etc.

But I don't have the proper tool to pressurize the brake system to flush it after two years. So since I wanted all the recall work to be done, I wanted to flush the tranny and brake fluid.

My service advisor said the tranny fluid is not scheduled for a flush until 150K miles (I'm at 44K) so I decided to hold off and just flush the brake system. The charge was $421.20. That's right, for what probably took 1 hour, they charged me over $400 dollars. I actually laughed when he gave me the estimate and asked whether he was kidding. Anyway, I can guarantee I won't have the dealer flush my brake fluid in another 2 years.

Post your charges for a brake fluid flush or ideas on what tool we need to avoid this charge in the future.

cheers!

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they probably only suctioned the reservoir fluid only as well. I try to do all my maintenance items too.

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
If you can do basic maintenance, you can do a brake flush. Buy a Motive Power Bleeder

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Bleeder-Adapters-European/dp/B0002KM5L0

Very easy to use as one person. Use some of the blue ATE brake fluid and it is pretty easy to know when the old fluid is flushed out.

As you know, don't get any brake fluid on anything.

My bleeder screw is outboard of the caliber on my track car. I don't even have to remove tires to bleed brakes between sessions. I can reach in thru the wheel spokes.

vindio

Reaction score
On a related topic, is there a way to TELL whether the vehicle needs a brake fluid flush?

I bought my CPO LR4 with 51K miles, but LR dealer couldn't tell me for sure when the fluid had been last flushed by the original owner.

Thanks!

v

BenDrover

Reaction score
What?!? *******!

LOL, they are probably ****** you do most of your own maintenance and had to make it up somewhere.

When I log on to my dealers service site, one of the services offered is "Brake Fluid Flush $165". It describes the work as:

"Perform complete brake fluid flush. Bleed all contaminated brake fluid from master cylinder, ABS components, hydraulic lines and brake calipers. Clean and fill master cylinder with new fluid. Top off system and road test for proper performance."

I don't know if that is different from what your dealer performed.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a related topic, is there a way to TELL whether the vehicle needs a brake fluid flush?

I bought my CPO LR4 with 51K miles, but LR dealer couldn't tell me for sure when the fluid had been last flushed by the original owner.

Thanks!

v

One way to tell is if you have a soft brake pedal. Are standing at a light and the LR4 is slowly crawling forward? Do you need to apply more pressure to stop it from crawling forward? You could probably use a flush. If your brake pedal is nice and firm, then you probably don't have any air in the line.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends a lot on where you live. Brake fluid being hydroscopic, it will eventually absorb enough moisture to rust your brake lines, etc.
If you live in the desert with 10% humidity as we do, you can go for years without a flush. On the other hand, if you're in the UK...

spawnywhippet

Reaction score
Brake fluid flushes are usually done every 2nd year, or more frequently on a track car. I am about to do this today on my '12 LR4. I anticipate it will take an hour and cost $20, but I already own the Motive power bleeder that 'Causeway LR4' posted above

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut