LUX or HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No regrets with a Lux

I also struggled with the "to Lux or not to Lux" question, but in the end got a 2011 LR4-HSE-Lux and love it. I have two young boys in car seats, and the Lux leather is holding up great. Previous owner also had kids, so these "soft" seats have been well tested.

Lux has a few things that I'm pretty addicted to:
- Auto dimming high beams
- HD Xenon headlamps
- Harmon Kardon premium sound system (IMHO, sounds really good)
- HD pkg with rear locking diff and full size spare.
About a week ago I pulled a Toyota FJ out of deep snow where he had spun off the side of the highway. He was waiting for a towtruck, after a full size pickup had tried and failed to pull him out. LR4 barely spun a tire and popped him right back onto the road. The combination of Nokina Hak R2 with LR4's traction system makes for absolutely amazing traction.
:proud:

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also struggled with the "to Lux or not to Lux" question, but in the end got a 2011 LR4-HSE-Lux and love it. I have two young boys in car seats, and the Lux leather is holding up great. Previous owner also had kids, so these "soft" seats have been well tested.

Lux has a few things that I'm pretty addicted to:
- Auto dimming high beams
- HD Xenon headlamps
- Harmon Kardon premium sound system (IMHO, sounds really good)
- HD pkg with rear locking diff and full size spare.
About a week ago I pulled a Toyota FJ out of deep snow where he had spun off the side of the highway. He was waiting for a towtruck, after a full size pickup had tried and failed to pull him out. LR4 barely spun a tire and popped him right back onto the road. The combination of Nokina Hak R2 with LR4's traction system makes for absolutely amazing traction.
:proud:

So you got a LUX with HD package? HK sound system is pretty standard.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, HD was absolutely required. Its the reason I went to a LR4 vs any of the other lux SUV's....that being said, I had a very hard time finding one with HD and as a result I had next to nothing in bargaining power when negotiating. I was happy with the HSE trim, but would have loved the xenon lights....

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bromhead: What? You got a an HSE Lux w/out Xenons? I need to check your location. The USA build sheets show xenons standard on both HSE and HSE Lux.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gibson: No, I just got a HSE (not a lux) back in 2012. It didn't come with xenons. Unsure what the trims are like now. Don't want to go on the website and get tempted!

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you got a LUX with HD package? HK sound system is pretty standard.

Yes, LUX with HD package. While in principle HD was available without LUX, searching used it seemed like every HD was LUX.

Re HK sound: AFAIK the HK Logic7 system was only available with the Lux, other versions had a lower level HK system. I have been very happy with the HK Logic7 system. It is MUCH better than the Bose system in my Audi, but I haven't compared it to other LR sound systems.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Logic 7 HK system is standard in the Lux. It was an option for SE / HSE models.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HD is much harder to find than Lux. Finding both together is especially hard, but it can be done. I bought a dealer car with 4k miles from Denver that had both, which is what I was holding out for. Glad I did. I also wanted a 2013 so I could have the last of the V8's. No regrets whatsoever.
:driver:

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HD is much harder to find than Lux. Finding both together is especially hard, but it can be done. I bought a dealer car with 4k miles from Denver that had both, which is what I was holding out for. Glad I did. I also wanted a 2013 so I could have the last of the V8's. No regrets whatsoever.
:driver:

Purchased a LUX with HD not too long ago :)

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear; hope you enjoy it!

I wanted HD and was going to get an HSE but since my wife really wanted to use the LR too, I thought seat memory would be a good thing, so I went for the Lux.

By the way, I also have the Black package and my only real complaint is that all of the lettering is blacked out EXCEPT the very large and tacky "Luxury" badge on the rear...thinking of removing it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV