DuraTracs - Handling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we all love to talk about tires, so I don't feel too bad about starting another thread.

I'm giddy as a school boy now that we've got an AT-like option in the stock 255/55R19 size with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

The Contis have been fine in the summer, and have even done okay with the small amount of off-roading that I've undertaken. But they give me zero confidence in snow and ice. I feel like the LR4 is a big sled on the Contis, and all she wants to do is slide into curbs and other cars. Slide through stop lights, etc.

I was going to go down the winter/summer tire swap road, but now these DuraTracs are out!

My concern, though: The speed rating on the DuraTracs is an S (112mph) while Contis are V (149mph). That's kind of a big drop, and the LR4 is speed limited at 125. A little higher than the S rating.

I also understand that the lower rating means a softer sidewall. So are these DuraTracs going to handle like mush? I don't drive too aggressively, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned.

You guys with the DTs, do they handle alright on the pavement?

I was previously in an Xterra with BFG ATs and that thing destroyed in the snow. It was like a snowmobile. I'd love to get the LR4 to that level.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has the DuraTracs, but in the 18" size (they are about the biggest you can go in an LR3) and he says they are fine on the road. I don't think you will have any problems, as I thought that they were quite good on the road.

I have the BFG ATs and you are right, they are AWESOME in the snow.

Trekker

Reaction score
I have the Goodyear Duratracs in 265/656/R18 and I absolutely love them. I had previous experience with them on my Hummer H3 and had zero problems. The behave well on pavement, stick like glue in snow and ice, and they perform very well off road, even in the mud. An all around good tire and a good match for my LR4.

Attachments

• DSCN0952_edited-001.jpg
    DSCN0952_edited-001.jpg
    963.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the DT in 265/65R18. I looooove them.
Off-road they're difficult to beat being a mix of mud terrain and all terrain tire.
On-road they handle great as long as you inflate them correctly. And that will probably require some playing with. The rubber they're made of heats up really quickly (severe weather rated) so you will really need to decide what you like.
For off-roading I use 36/42 cold.
On road I use 44 all around.
Their max pressure in this size is 50psi.
I hope this helps.
Axel
I'm currently in Moab putting them (and myself) through their pace.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry aout speed rating. You shouldn't be going over 100 MPH in your LR4 anyway :)

I am definitely going for the Duratracks replacing the crappy Contis that came on our LR4. They have a little under 20K miles and 14 months and are not going to last much more.

My only decision now is whether to wait out until next Summer to swap or just bite the bullet now, toss the Contis and get the Duratracs for this Winter.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tire rating are you looking at, C's, D's or E''s?
I believe you will find all 3 ratings in your size. If you can get them in a D rated tires, they will give you lots of side wall strength.
Make sure you run the same air pressure in all 4 tires, around 40 pounds.
I know many people that run DT's on their Discos and here in Colorado, they are awsome.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tire rating are you looking at, C's, D's or E''s?
I believe you will find all 3 ratings in your size. If you can get them in a D rated tires, they will give you lots of side wall strength.
Make sure you run the same air pressure in all 4 tires, around 40 pounds.
I know many people that run DT's on their Discos and here in Colorado, they are awsome.

I've been running the same pressure all around at 44psi for city/highway driving.
However when off-roading I go down to 36/42...
Is there a reason for sticking with the same pressure all around even though LR recommends to run lower front...
Thank you
PS I will try the 40 you recommend for on road driving. What do you recommend for off-road?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 44 works for you, that is great. By the way, which load rated tire are you running C's, D's or E's? That really determines the actual air pressure to run.
Rover's recomondations are for a softer ride. As for off road wheeling, I have always run around 18 for much better ride and traction.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, 36/42 off-road I wouldn't even call "aired down". I run 18 for the sand and would probably do 20-25 max for trails.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey DiscoMike, would love your advice.

This is a very helpful thread. I know I've brought this up before, but what are you guys running with BFG A/T KOs (265/65R18) E rating. I am doing about 45 front / 48 rear and seems to be good, but I still in search of that optimum pressure. I wonder if I should just go around 45 all around?

The max PSI is 80, so I am thinking somewhere in the middle. My LR4 is pretty heavy with an ARB bumper, winch, sliders, skid plates, roof rack, etc. Soon I will be adding the Kaymar and tire swing away.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA