DuraTracs - Handling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
I have the Gap Tool but have cut the fenders enough that on the road I can run it at stock height. Off road I used the tool to go up 2 inches. Tuesday the dealership is putting Johnson Rods on full time and aligning it so I will run it full time at that height which is 2.5 inches. Off road with Gap Tool/Johnson Rods I just run it at normal height (Which would be off road height for a stock LR4) Its a much better ride and better articulation. Then only use off road mode when I need the clearance for certain obstacles.

I attached a photo of my LR4 at the top of Mt Logan Utah. Drove it up Providence Canyon which is probably the hardest off road trail in Northern Utah. It was pouring rain on the way up so didn't get out to take any photos or videos.

Jud

Attachments

• IMG_2806.JPG
    IMG_2806.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 108

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nvm I see the bumper so tactical 4x4. Weird that the dealer will touch your truck with mods on.

Adrenalinsports

Reaction score
Rear bumper is kaymar, front bumper I think is tactical rovers. All the sensors and cameras work in bumpers. But sounded like it was quite the chore to make it work. And I have had no problems with the dealer. They have been awesome. They are replacing a bad strut on Tuesday and a sway bar.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Gap Tool but have cut the fenders enough that on the road I can run it at stock height. Off road I used the tool to go up 2 inches. Tuesday the dealership is putting Johnson Rods on full time and aligning it so I will run it full time at that height which is 2.5 inches. Off road with Gap Tool/Johnson Rods I just run it at normal height (Which would be off road height for a stock LR4) Its a much better ride and better articulation. Then only use off road mode when I need the clearance for certain obstacles.

I attached a photo of my LR4 at the top of Mt Logan Utah. Drove it up Providence Canyon which is probably the hardest off road trail in Northern Utah. It was pouring rain on the way up so didn't get out to take any photos or videos.

Jud
The new tires look awesome!!! I may go this route down the line, not sure yet. My BFGs have been good to me, but would be nice to have something that is better in mud. We will see.

I did just get the Kaymar rear bumper and hope to install in the next couple weeks.

I love northern Utah, as I am often in southern Utah in Hildale. It's a border town next to Colorado City, Arizona. I know Providence Canyon is quite a challenging trail - great job! I don't think I would take my LR4 there at this point. If I remember right, you live in Utah?

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is off topic but since you guys are here. I'm thinking of traversing southern Utah in 6-12 months from now (I'm still putting some mods on my LR4 for the trip) maybe making it a 7-12 day trip any ideas were I can get guides? Mostly for fuel stations and off road trails I kinda want to keep it off road only going on road for gas.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is off topic but since you guys are here. I'm thinking of traversing southern Utah in 6-12 months from now (I'm still putting some mods on my LR4 for the trip) maybe making it a 7-12 day trip any ideas were I can get guides? Mostly for fuel stations and off road trails I kinda want to keep it off road only going on road for gas.
Jud may have something to add, as I have been to Moab and a few trails there, but not in my LR4 - in a Jeep or truck.

Depending where you are in the southern part of UT, Moab is about 5 hours and Zion is about an hour. There are various other off-road trails around southern UT, but I would say your best place to start for guides would be in Moab and I know St. George has a few off-road-related tours, etc. Also, St. George is a nice city with lots of tourism-related resources.

I actually do not usually bring my LR4 to UT, as I have another SUV there that my family uses. I can tell you there are no off-road guides or places to stay in the Hildale/Colorado City area, and I would actually not really recommend going there - it's not too friendly to tourists.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to get a set of new tires. My Contis are at 30k and still have some tread life left, but if the winter in Eastern PA is anything like it was last year, I def need some new shoes. Based on current discussions it seems like the forum prefers the DuraTracs over the Zeons...(?) Fair assessment? I have the 19" OEM wheels and use is mostly street with some off-pavement driving when time allows, but nothing too serious. Thanks

wportervt

Reaction score
About to get a set of new tires. My Contis are at 30k and still have some tread life left, but if the winter in Eastern PA is anything like it was last year, I def need some new shoes. Based on current discussions it seems like the forum prefers the DuraTracs over the Zeons...(?) Fair assessment? I have the 19" OEM wheels and use is mostly street with some off-pavement driving when time allows, but nothing too serious. Thanks

I think you just need to be honest with yourself about what you really use your LR4 for. By design the Duratrac's are going to be a better off-road tire while the Zeon's (I hope) will be adequate off-road and provide a little more comfort and quiet on-road. Either one of them is going to be a huge step up from the Conti's as far as off-road performance (and will look much better).

I went to Discount Tire recently and was surprised that the DuraTrac's were a couple bucks less per tire but decided on the Zeon's. We live in Denver and 98% of our driving is to and from work and on the highway up and down from the mountains and while I love heading off-road when we're up there, in reality it just doesn't happen as often as I'd like... If I lived up there full time it would be a different story and I likely would have chosen the DuraTrac's.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the Duratracs being a better off-road tire than the Cooper Zeons all the time. I guess it depends on the terrain. In mud, the Duratracs' big sculpted blocks will definitely provide a huge advantage as they are more of an AT/MT hybrid design, and they will most likely offer much better traction in snow as well - they are severe winter rated, I believe. Can't speak from experience about the Duratracs, but the Zeons are going to be quiet on the road (they do get noisier over time, but all A/T tires do eventually), have a slightly better speed rating, great road manners and handling on wet and dry, and more than hold their own on rocks, gravel and dirt when you go off road. I used them for years on my Sport, and mine were 18s, so I would expect the 19s to be ever more competent on pavement. The Coopers, even the 19s, do have an Extra Load range rating (which is what Land Rover recommends), the Goodyears are standard loads only, so probably not built as strong as the Coopers. Sidewall will be relatively tender on both, as neither tire is E rated. I think the Duratracs look great thanks to the aggressive tread, but they are not as unstoppable as Goodyear makes them sound when you look at their specs. Especially if mud and winter conditions are out of the equation (such as around here in SoCal), you may be happier with the Coopers or other A/Ts. Lots of owners on other forums have complained about slashed and damaged sidewalls on their Duratracs. The low profile sidewall of the 19s doesn't help either tire, you really can't air down much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut