2012 vs. 2015 LR4 HSE LUX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aspena

Reaction score
Recently made the switch after much consternation about the V6SC. I have to say I have been incredibly impressed. This truck feels a LOT more solid than my 2012 (and I loved that truck). Sound is different, but I honestly can't tell difference from torque/hp...

Vision, 20s, HD package, Adaptive Cruise (still don't fully trust it - but crazy cool). Side boards don't bother as much as did at first. Kind of grow on you. Still may pull them off someday.

Just FYI for what its worth for those considering...

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am firmly in the camp of.. there is no replacement for displacement. I will be purchasing a 2013 wth the V8.
I love the feel and sound of a V8 and I tow too much to trust the job to a forced induction V6.
LR should bring back the V8 and offer the SCV6 as an option...But thats just me LOL! I also realize that the vast majority of LR owners will not use their vehicle as I do.
Once my LR is in need of replacement, I'll probably end up buying somethng else in the LR line that still has a V8....I know they will have a new Disco or LR5 by then (or whatever they call it) but if theres no option for V8, I'll move on.

But I am glad to hear you like yours ;)
Enjoy!

Last edited:

..mg..

Reaction score
^If we're generalizing, I'd take FI over NA any day. So much more potential.

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
Hopefully some company will come up with a tune for the SCV6 and another 50 HP. I am sure there is a Jag tuner already working on it...

Interpol

Reaction score
thanks aspena for sharing your views,
looks like you ordered a nice fully loaded truck,
think im getting the white with the black pack, upgrade audio, swap the walnut trim with the piano black and gonna get the vision assist.
think i'll get the side boards removed too as long as there isn't any unsightly holes left, but i'll be leasing my vehicle so i'll have to hand it back in its original condition so hoping that they aren't a pain to remove.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to drive a 2014 and I think its good. I tend to drive slowly in my 2013 anyway, so most of the time I dont think anyone would notice. I didn't have the chance to tow my boat with the 14' or anything, but that would be a more telling test.

But, having said that, I'm still in the V8 camp. Personally, I don't care about potential. I have found that it's not smart to modify engines. I've done that, been there. I know huge numbers of enthusiasts mod engines and do all of that. Back when I was in the Infiniti camp, I was one of them.

Even if the two engines had the same power, I value the ability to drive around town, or even 50mph highway speed at incredibly low RPM. The two extra cylinders allow for lower RPM use. 40 mph at ~1100 rpm is nice.

I think LR did a pretty good job at the switch, in that the way they setup the V6 and trans was a very nice transition from what they had, but using the fuel economy and emissions as an excuse seems like a stretch. I still think they did it because of the Range Rover engine switch. You can't have the cheapo land rover have a better engine than the big daddy.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That, and economics. The naturally aspirated V8 is no longer used on any JLR platform anymore, keeping production alive for just one model out of the entire lineup would have made little sense from a financial standpoint.

I have no say in this as I have not driven a SCV6 LR4 yet, but I remember when 300hp from the old 4.4-liter V8 in the LR3 and my former 2006 Sport seemed plenty adequate to owners... until the 5-liter V8 came out. The blown V6 makes an impressive 340 from a smaller displacement and uses a more advanced transmission, so my guess is that 99% of owners will be very happy with the 2014-15 LR4. The only ones ******** about it are owners of the big, discontinued V8 (guilty as charged...), which is a fabulous engine for sure, but somewhat of a dynosaur - like the LR4 ifself, honestly - and a hard sell in these days of efficient hybrids, diesels, supercharged and turbocharged technologies applied to smaller and more politically correct, greener powerplants. Even Ferrari is not doing naturally aspirated engines anymore on its new models. http://blog.caranddriver.com/ferrari-adding-turbos-hybrids-to-every-future-engine/

Last edited:

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^If we're generalizing, I'd take FI over NA any day. So much more potential.

I don't necessarily dissagree. However I'll take FI V6 in a 2k-3k lb vehicle, I'll take a FI V8 in a 4k lb or heavier vehicle vs NA respectively. You must keep the proper scale in regard to displacement and it must be done correctly. I had a supercharged Roush mustang and that thing got 25-27 mpg consistently in combined driving. That was better than any of my friends NA 4.6 V8s could ever get. Only when I seriously and persistently put the screws to it, did the mpgs suffer. Stuffing a small FI motor in a larger vehicle gives you diminishing returns whenever you get out of its sweet spot...which can be often and without even trying.
That's a very important factor that theses manufactures don't seem to understand.
My two late model NA V8 powered pickup trucks (Ford & RAM) get the same or better MPGs than guys I know with EcoBoost trucks. I'll get at least 3-4 mpgs better when towing the same size load as the EB guys as well. Small FI V6s in big vehicles are good in theory but not so much in the real world.

Again, you can't just go ***** nilly, I'm not sure how the NA vs FI V8s compared in the RR Sport. But that FI V8 wasn't exactly made or tuned for efficicy in mind either.

But I'm not ******* the SCV6 LR4, it should do fine for the majority of owners and how they use the truck. I however will be working mine more than most. For that, gimme the V8 every time.

FWIW, I couldnt keep my eyes off the 2014 LR4s on the lot. The way they are outfitting them now is absolutely stunning. I will be trying to replicate the look as much as I can on the 2013 model that I end up with.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wish they at least matched the SCV6 hp / tq numbers with the outgoing V8. It's one of the few cars I have ever heard of for the manufacturer to lower output numbers (BOTH hp and tq) and maintaining the same scale shattering weight.

If they bumped those figures up to 400/400 (v8 was 375/375), I think you would hear a lot less complaints. There's virtually zero fuel savings, so why would anyone want a downgrade in peformance? It's still just crazy to me.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wish they at least matched the SCV6 hp / tq numbers with the outgoing V8. It's one of the few cars I have ever heard of for the manufacturer to lower output numbers (BOTH hp and tq) and maintaining the same scale shattering weight.

If they bumped those figures up to 400/400 (v8 was 375/375), I think you would hear a lot less complaints. There's virtually zero fuel savings, so why would anyone want a downgrade in peformance? It's still just crazy to me.

I get your point. Would be nice to have that oomph. It's whats sold so many EcoBoosts. Lol.

But LR is cheating up a little with the 8 speed. It's spreads the available torque and HP so much better than the 6 speed could. So they can get away with less HP and ft/lbs and still stay very close to that V8 feel.

An 8 speed behind that 5.0 V8 would be just about awesome though. Lol

I had a 2013 RAM with the 395hp 5.7 HEMI. I now have a 2014 RAM with the HEMI making the same power, only now it has the 8 speed and even shorter rear end gears. The difference in performance and feel is almost staggering. That's why I HAD to trade off the 13 for the 14 as soon as the test drive was over. My 14 gets better mpgs than the 13 (18-20 mpg every week) and it drives and pulls so much better.

I don't know all the engine politics at LR but I know there's still Rangies with the SC V8 so they're still around. Perhaps they should have opted to give the 5.0 a go in front of that 8 speed tranny?
Would have been awesome imho.

Man I'm gonna hate to see that RAM go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA