2012 vs. 2015 LR4 HSE LUX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreeN YarN

Reaction score
We had a 2012 (it might've been a 2013) Lr4 v8 loaner for over a month before we got our '15 Lr4 so I can attest to some of the differences.

There is a difference in motors and transmissions. Cruising on the highway with the v8 and 6 speed transmission felt more relaxed. The car didn't need to shift down going up slight inclines or during moderate acceleration. With the new car, I notice it shifting more on the highway for the same inclines and moderate passing.

I can't tell if it's a difference in the engine performance or, a transmission with more gears. Either way, I have noticed it.

I never had the opportunity to tow with the v8 but with our '15, all I plan on towing is a jet ski, maybe our boat on short trips. I cannot speak to the difference in towing.

As far as the running boards, it looks like a few Allen headed bolts and they're off. There isn't much point to them unless you leave the car in normal or off road height. My wife who is 5'6 also doesn't see much point to them.

I have noticed a real world savings of about 2 mpgs over the 600 miles we've driven compared to the v8.

For what we use the vehicle for, the new motor and transmission work wonderfully.

..mg..

Reaction score
Hopefully some company will come up with a tune for the SCV6 and another 50 HP. I am sure there is a Jag tuner already working on it...
The SC 3.0 engine isn't new - there are actually quite a few companies that can tune it. I've been chatting with two companies regarding a reflash and pulley upgrade. Gains are showing up to 60 wheel HP with pulley+tune. That's quite respectable. Assuming the numbers aren't too overly inflated, that's about a 75HP increase over stock. Now we're talking.

I don't necessarily dissagree. However I'll take FI V6 in a 2k-3k lb vehicle, I'll take a FI V8 in a 4k lb or heavier vehicle vs NA respectively. You must keep the proper scale in regard to displacement and it must be done correctly...

We're talking forced induction V6 versus naturally aspirated V8. I would take the former, all other things being equal.

If we're talking a SC V8, that's entirely different. I don't think the D4/LR4 platform has the brakes, suspension, or aero to handle that much power. It'd likely be a disaster. Regardless, assuming LR upgraded the chassis to handle the additional power, the pricing would be in RR price territory. I'm guessing LR doesn't want that kind of internal brand competition.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...As far as the running boards, it looks like a few Allen headed bolts and they're off. There isn't much point to them unless you leave the car in normal or off road height. My wife who is 5'6 also doesn't see much point to them...

With the Discovery supposedly being replaced in a couple years, I can see LR trying to shift out shelves of unused running boards. They are pretty damn ugly and it's nuts they wont let you option without them.

There was a black plastic trim I had to remove in my 2013 to fit aftermarket sliders / sidesteps, so I am wondering if those of you in the new trucks wanting to remove the running boards will be missing that same trim?

Interpol

Reaction score
since they wont let you order it without the steps, im wondering if they'll be ok with just ordering it with black side protection bars instead. Would rather see those on there.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be a dealer installed option. It's not a factory option.

In my opinion, there are simply better aftermarket solutions out there (and cheaper).

I did my slider / sidesteps on my own and the damn things weigh like 60lb each. It would be even easier with an extra set of hands, but it is doable solo.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add my 2 cents worth. We've gone from an LR3 to a 15. Obviously a bigger jump than a V8 LR4, but I've driven those enough to be able to comment on the differences. Agree with the comments about how solid and refined our 15 feels. Extremely quiet, much less engine noise than a RRS with the same motor. The transmission is incredible, nearly seamless shifts and very good at being in the right gear. I didn't see much difference between the LR4 V8 and the SCV6 in most cases. Throttle tip in is much more aggressive in the V8 which may add to the sensation of having more power, while the SCV6 is much more linear. This was disappointing at first but under normal circumstance you calibrate your expectations and the results are largely the same. Haven't seen much benefit to MPG yet, maybe 1-2mpg over a tank under normal driving.

For total power, in a truck this heavy I dispute how much you actually feel the lower power, mostly because of the HP and TQ curves for both and how much more advanced the 8 speed box is compared to the old 6 speed. Being in Colorado, I also have less effective power loss given the ability of the blower to offset some losses from the lower air density here. I moaned a lot about having to go with a lower rated motor, but have been very pleased in how it drives. We go to the mountains a lot here with passes over 11-12,000 feet. Fully loaded, the drive in the 15 is absolutely effortless, smooth and quiet.

One other point I didn't see mentioned above is durability/longevity. Would have a lot more confidence in the V8 having fewer issues over the long haul than the blown 6, we'll see how that pans out. Other than sound this is my biggest concern.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV