What is that thing mounted on the spare wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the picture from Overland Journal' LR4 project:

Attachments

• Discovery_4_Air_Locker.jpg
    Discovery_4_Air_Locker.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 83

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are nice, but if you are in a pinch, the rubber floor mats will help, but you might tear them up which is not cheap.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.

This looks a great addition to any offroad (light or heavy stuff) trip, no?

Does anyone here have these? Or are there other brands to choose from?

I would not mind getting at least a couple of these. It could have totally saved me the embarrassment when, ahem, I attempted to drive just a little bit on the beach sand a few weeks ago with skill levels, not kidding, exactly like Jimmy Falon:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25475

Luckily I did not get myself dug in that much, I was still able to move when put in reverse gear but just could not go forward more than a couple of feet. Yes, indeed, I did not air down as I had read somewhere that LR4' sand mode is so good that you do not need to air down. Yes, it is incorrect info and now I know that I should air down every time. Cut the long story short, a beach rescue team member spotted me struggling, drove over, and asked me to air down to 16 to 18 psi. Did exactly that and I was able to get out with no struggle at all.

If I had even one of these Sand Tracks (and if the rescue member hadn't spotted me and reminded me of to air down) I'd have prolly be able to get out by placing one of these under just one wheel and then stopping, relocating the Sand Track, and driving again, in baby steps, without ever airing down. Not that I ever plan to drive on sand again without airing down after learning my lesson :)

Since LR4 can send torque to even just one wheel with traction if the other three have no traction at all, then above, in theory, could have worked, correct?

I wonder whats the range of variation in torque split ratio on LR4, could it vary from zero to all the way to 100 percent torque from front to back or vice versa, or 100 percent torque to just one wheel with traction?

By the way, it was quite scary driving on pavement (even slow as hell) to the nearest gas station with this heavy vehicle with 16 to 18 psi as I thought I might get the rubber off of the rims. There was near to no side wall left.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess your next accessory will be an air compressor? ;-) Based on what I was reading on this forum I already have mine - and I don't even have my LR4 yet! (I'm trying to spread out the accessory purchases over time so as not to alarm our households budget manager.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess your next accessory will be an air compressor? ;-) Based on what I was reading on this forum I already have mine - and I don't even have my LR4 yet! (I'm trying to spread out the accessory purchases over time so as not to alarm our households budget manager.

I should get one too... I have a small 12v Tire Inflator for emergencies, but it's so slow and unrealistic. I have used it a handful of times to get a few PSI though. Every time I go to Home Depot I mean to buy an actual air compressor... Next time!

My next major mod will be a roof rack.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes indeed :)

Any thoughts on which one to get?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick