Harsh gear changes on TD5 Automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chopper Boy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 1999 Disco 2 TD5 with an Automatic Transmission and the gearbox was very smooth in changing gears, but due to me not knowing if the fluid had ever been replaced I decided to have it replaced and ever since having the Fluid changed it has developed a very harsh gear change both going up the gears as well as when coming down the gears. This only starts happening once the vehicle has been driven for a few kilometres and the vehicle is running at normal working temperature and if the vehicle is left to cool down for a few hours then the gear changes are smooth again. So far I have cleaned out the valve body and the solenoids and of course changed the fluid again. The valve body and solenoids were not really dirty but the problem is still there. Can anybody please give me some advice as to what I can do to rectify this problem.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, you have the same ZF22 tranny as the gas powered version, that being the case, is your check engine light on, should be if you are having problems. Have you checked your fluid level?

Chopper Boy

Reaction score
Hi Mike, Thanks for the speedy reply to my query. The Check Engine Light is not on and the only fault that the computer gives is for the XYZ Inhibiter switch which we have sorted out and that is working as advertised again.
As far as the fluid level goes we have just drained the fluid so as to get to the valve body to clean it out and then have filled it back up to the correct level again. The next thing that we are going to do is see if there maybe is one on the solenoids that is playing up and if so replace that. I will keep you posted as to what we find as we work through the problem.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to verify if you have a computer controlled tranny. What did the fluid look like when changed, red brownish or smelt burned?
How many miles on the tranny and when you had the fluid changed, was it a standard filter change and filter or did you have the tranny backflushed?

Chopper Boy

Reaction score
Hi Mike.
Once again thanks for the information that you provide on the forum it is most valued. We seem to have found the problem of the harsh changing of gears as two of the solenoids in the gearbox were faulty so have replaced them and the gearbox is now changing smoothly again.
We do however have another problem in that she goes into lock up as normal but does not seem to want to stay there and the computer is not giving any fault codes. We have seen before that it was the Torque Convertor that was causing the problem in another vehicle but am not sure what it could be with my one. Will keep you posted as to what we find wrong. Just hoping that it is not the Torque Convertor as they are rather pricey here in South Africa.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here again, do you have any fault code numbers and how many miles on it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut