My LR4 Has Been Built - but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the build spec it says, "Less Trailer Towing Package" while I made it clear with the dealer that I will be towing trailers with this. The dealer has said that they will add the trailer towing package as part of the dealer prep. Is this normal? Am I losing something in the process like maybe a larger radiator? I also ordered Vision Assist and supposedly when towing a trailer the backup guides will adjust to reflect the trailer. Is that all still going to work?

Other than that I guess the order seems normal. There are a handful of "Less this" and "Less that". I assume that is for stuff they don't offer in North American models.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ordered mine, MY13, I ordered vision assist and I think Tow Assist was part of the Vision Assist option at the time. Things/Options packaging may have changed for MY14. Also, I am not sure what "Towing Package" means now. If it means the addition of Trailer Hitch and Towing Electrics then I think it is a dealer install item (others can correct me). But again if it is indeed a dealer installed item then the question is why the build spec sheet specifies it with a package name and checks it as "Less".

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all probably my confusion. But the order sheets are pretty confusing. Lots of "Less...". For example they "Less" the wading package (which is really just the camera on the side mirror looking down at the water) and they "Less" the TV tuner. I assume these are things that are default for international builds but not something they offer in the US. And you're probably right that the "Trailer Towing Package" is simply a dealer install. If it is just wiring for the lights and brakes along with the trailer hitch (which must be gold plated for what they charge for it) then I should be fine. Its just confusing. I'll see what they tell me in the morning.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all probably my confusion. But the order sheets are pretty confusing. Lots of "Less...". For example they "Less" the wading package (which is really just the camera on the side mirror looking down at the water) and they "Less" the TV tuner. I assume these are things that are default for international builds but not something they offer in the US. And you're probably right that the "Trailer Towing Package" is simply a dealer install. If it is just wiring for the lights and brakes along with the trailer hitch (which must be gold plated for what they charge for it) then I should be fine. Its just confusing. I'll see what they tell me in the morning.
I would not worry, as I believe the tow package is installed at the dealership upon delivery. In addition, you will see a lot of "less" this and that because those are mostly ex-US options not available here.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming it just means they will install the hitch when it gets to the dealer.

Everything else with the vehicle will be the same.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I get a bit paranoid as I really don't want to have the LR4 arrive only to find out they messed something up. (And, to be honest, the guys at the dealership are friendly but the seem a bit lax. They don't elicit a lot of confidence.)

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch is a simple accessory. Only other item that would have to be added is the wiring harness kit. Simply plugs into the rear driver side light and is routed down to the hitch, from what I have read.

Again, just like the rails, not sure how much they are going to charge you to do this but it is a simple install that you could save on the labor charge.

Something to think about.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, there really is no "install" with the hitch as it can easily be attached and removed. The wiring harness is something I don't want to mess with. I won't have a lot of time before taking it on a trip. I would want to be sure the trailer brake electronics are solid and covered under the warranty. I expect the lights and the power for charging the trailer battery is pretty straightforward. But, again, I'll have plenty to do before the trip and this is one thing I'd rather not screw up.

The extended rails on the other hand look to be pretty easy.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, there really is no "install" with the hitch as it can easily be attached and removed. The wiring harness is something I don't want to mess with. I won't have a lot of time before taking it on a trip. I would want to be sure the trailer brake electronics are solid and covered under the warranty. I expect the lights and the power for charging the trailer battery is pretty straightforward. But, again, I'll have plenty to do before the trip and this is one thing I'd rather not screw up.

The extended rails on the other hand look to be pretty easy.

The wiring harness is a very simple install. You just have to remove one of the tail lights and route the harness down to the back. If you don't mind crawling on the ground you can do it in 30 minutes.

If your trailer has electric brakes you will have to get a separate trailer brake controller installed. This is not part of the trailer tow package unless the dealer indicated it was it may be something above the standard package they install. Though not likely.

Josh

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be prepared for some sticker shock when see how much the hitch and harness cost. However, the engineering on the hitch is pretty amazing, pops in and out so easily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV