Short roof rails installation cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I dare go and ask the dealer, what do you guys it should take in terms of time/cost just for installation.

A bitter that even after paying 65+ for an SUV meant for offroading (with HD pkg, etc), I still have to pay for something as basic and vehicle-related as roof rails. Does Subaru forester not come with it already installed?

My 06 LR3 HSE came with it.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installation of my extended rails will be just over $1K.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not even bother having the dealer install this for you. I just ordered a set of short rails and will be doing the install. There are youtube videos.

Its really as simple as removing some plastic rivet's, cutting the current gutter covers and screwing down the rails. Paying someone else for this would be a total waste of funds in my mind.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
epiclr4 makes a great point. There are some good youtube vids on how to install. BTW, the $1K I mentioned was for the price of the extended rails and the installation. If I can't negotiate them down significantly on the install I will likely just do it myself. Looking at the videos it is not that hard.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you are not in a hurry to do your install you can find used rails / take-offs on ebay and other places. I picked up a set of rails on ebay for $75. All they need is some paint and I ordered some new mounting hardware. All said I will have rails for about $110. Less than 1/3 the price of ordering new.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't emphasize enough how easy of an install the roof rails are. I did the extended rails and completed both sides in under an hour. If I ever had to do it again it would prob take half that amount of time. I remember hearing that a dealership was quoting 2+ hours of labor...crazy.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer has quoted $380 for installation only.

Looked for some videos on youtube but had no luck for the short length roof rails, can anyone please post a link to a good video? Thanks.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer has quoted $380 for installation only.

Looked for some videos on youtube but had no luck for the short length roof rails, can anyone please post a link to a good video? Thanks.

There is no install video of the short roof rails. If you watch the one video of the extended version all you need to do is make the same cut of the molding that covers the channels on the top of the vehicle and then just bolt them down. It's that easy.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaV7AMmIrxA8&ei=k3FZU56EJ-bLsATM0IDgCQ&usg=AFQjCNFS-UL8Np5m8HiWzDQja9SNZiqMaw&sig2=6vUdAjzxPTD6fEzMalwQgA&bvm=bv.65397613,d.cWc

If you want to PM me your e-mail address I will send you the PDF of the instructions.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no install video of the short roof rails. If you watch the one video of the extended version all you need to do is make the same cut of the molding that covers the channels on the top of the vehicle and then just bolt them down. It's that easy.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaV7AMmIrxA8&ei=k3FZU56EJ-bLsATM0IDgCQ&usg=AFQjCNFS-UL8Np5m8HiWzDQja9SNZiqMaw&sig2=6vUdAjzxPTD6fEzMalwQgA&bvm=bv.65397613,d.cWc

If you want to PM me your e-mail address I will send you the PDF of the instructions.

Thanks. PM Sent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA