A 2010 Land Rover LR4 engine question. HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shehab

Reaction score
Hi everyone

2 mouths ago my dad bought a 2010 Land Rover LR4 V6

It did just 59000 kilos, so its should be close to new.

The car ran smoothly until today when suddenly it started cutting and sometimes the engine dies, and when I try to start it sometimes it starts and sometimes it keeps trying to start
And when I step on the throttle to the max it goes, but barley.
I tried turnning it off for like 5 mins and when I started the engine and it ran nicely for about 7 mins then it started cutting again.

Is it the fuel? cuz here in Yemen we have a low quality fuel and (with time) it fills the engines with a lot of black grime.

Or is it the type of the fuel cuz 6 days ago I filled the car with fuel that was red, and just yesterday I filled it with fuel that had water's color ( no color I guess ). And the difference between them is that the fuel that has no color gets consumed faster than the red fuel, or that's what I heard people saying.

I'm really worried please help me with helpful opinions.

Oh right. 1 of my friends told me to find a LONG highway and drive the car as fast as I could with my foot ******* the throttle, he said that this would help in ( cleaning ) the fuel injection parts inside the engine??

Should I listen to him or should I just take it to a mechanic? but first please tell me is engine in a BAD BAD condition? or is a simple issue? Thanks in advance.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your LR4 is an overly electronic vehicle. I am sure your friend is trying to help but I'd not attempt to start the engine anymore, instead I would bring the vehicle to the nearest Land Rover dealer/Service as soon as possible. Only they can properly look into and read the diagnostic codes and errors if there are any thru their LR specific computer/system.

If you do not have a Land Rover dealer in your area or their services' cost could be an issue then look for a Land Rover Certified mechanic or a similar place to take your vehicle to. Also, make sure you don't drive the vehicle to the service/mechanic rather have it towed over and make sure that it is being towed on a "flat bed" truck so none of your LR4's wheels are spinning freely while its being towed.

Are there any error codes showing on your dash board' instrument panel (area in between the speedometer and tachometer gauges)?

Experienced drivers here can correct me. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Shehab

Reaction score
Your LR4 is an overly electronic vehicle. I am sure your friend is trying to help but I'd not attempt to start the engine anymore, instead I would bring the vehicle to the nearest Land Rover dealer/Service as soon as possible. Only they can properly look into and read the diagnostic codes and errors if there are any thru their LR specific computer/system.

If you do not have a Land Rover dealer in your area or their services' cost could be an issue then look for a Land Rover Certified mechanic or a similar place to take your vehicle to. Also, make sure you don't drive the vehicle to the service/mechanic rather have it towed over and make sure that it is being towed on a "flat bed" truck so none of your LR4's wheels are spinning freely while its being towed.

Are there any error codes showing on your dash board' instrument panel (area in between the speedometer and tachometer gauges)?

Experienced drivers here can correct me. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thank you for replying but to answer your question about the dash board screen, no. nothing is showing there, but after I drove it on a highway ( but not roughly) the car stopped cutting but I'm gonna do what you told me to, still is the engine in danger (really screwed) ?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for replying but to answer your question about the dash board screen, no. nothing is showing there, but after I drove it on a highway ( but not roughly) the car stopped cutting but I'm gonna do what you told me to, still is the engine in danger (really screwed) ?

Glad to know its running fine now.

I am not sure if I can really answer your question about the engine being in danger or any damage, etc., others here maybe are in a better position to assess the situation.

In my humble view, it could be something very simple (engine trying to get past a bad portion of the fuel) and therefore temporarily showing signs of abnormal behavior, even with that it is possible that your dealership/service may suggest replacing fuel filter and/or other parts, to be on the safe side. Or it could be a sign of another issue with the engine or its components.

Even if the car runs fine now, as you said, I'd still have it checked.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to consume recommended 95 RON petrol. When not possible minimum 90 RON is required. Usually RON information is pasted at the pump for the respective grade. When using petrol lower than 95 RON, you will consume more petrol. Most probably in Yemen the high octane is dyed red to differentiated from the lower RON grade.

Shehab

Reaction score
Glad to know its running fine now.

I am not sure if I can really answer your question about the engine being in danger or any damage, etc., others here maybe are in a better position to assess the situation.

In my humble view, it could be something very simple (engine trying to get past a bad portion of the fuel) and therefore temporarily showing signs of abnormal behavior, even with that it is possible that your dealership/service may suggest replacing fuel filter and/or other parts, to be on the safe side. Or it could be a sign of another issue with the engine or its components.

Even if the car runs fine now, as you said, I'd still have it checked.

I REALLY REALLY appreciate your consideration to my problem, honestly I didn't expect getting this much help considering I'm still a new member here Thank you very very much, and may God protect you from all evil my dear friend :smile:

Shehab

Reaction score
Try to consume recommended 95 RON petrol. When not possible minimum 90 RON is required. Usually RON information is pasted at the pump for the respective grade. When using petrol lower than 95 RON, you will consume more petrol. Most probably in Yemen the high octane is dyed red to differentiated from the lower RON grade.

Look my friend, here in Yemen filling your car with petrol is VERY HARD :hmpf: considering the LONG LONG lines in the fuel stations. You'll have to stay in line for more than 7 hours, but only if fuel is available, cuz half of the stations here in the capital Sana'a are empty and the other half RARELY gets fuel in their tanks.

As for how long the lines are look here:

alwaienews.com/images/1404116137images%201.jpg

And here:

http://akhbarturkiya.com/wp-content...2d553-jpg20140614172814-jpg20140614174651.jpg

Somebody is causing this fuel shortage both in petrol and diesel on purpose!! and nobody knows who is doing it and why, and its been like this for more than 6 months! :mad: !!

So, in the end, getting any petrol in your car is a blessing so I guess I can't really whine about what happens to my car if I get any fuel in it.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the fuel constraints. As you get only the gasoline that it is available unfortunately you are subject to whatever quality is there and your LR is exposed to whatever contaminants are in the petrol available. Lived a similar situation years back in South America. I had to install an additional fuel filter, add every 3 tankfuls fuel system cleaning additives like Chevron' Techron, thoroughly clean my petrol tank and injectors about every 4 months. And still had the occasional problem with deposits in the injectors. Every time I cleaned the tank, sludge came out. Tedious (and expensive) process but you have to exercise prevention to avoid more serious damage to your car. My best wishes that current petrol quality and supply issues get resolved much sooner than later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA