03 DII Wont stay in Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hell_saint89

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have an '03 Discovery 2 that I bought last year from a guy who has seemingly messed up as much as possible during his ownership. I love this truck, but I'm not in the position to feed it money nor am I mechanically inclined enough to dive in and fix it all myself.

A few weeks ago I was driving it and when I put it in Drive it didn't quite go into gear, so while moving forward, it didn't move very well and the RPM's skyrocketed. So, I stopped, shifted into Neutral, and back into Drive. I realized that the red indicator next to the shift selector was working, but the display on the dash was not showing the "D" for park, it was blank. I kept the shifter in the Drive position and wriggled it around a bit until it sat in Drive both on the red indicator next to the shifter and on the dash. Worked fine, until it happened again a few minutes later and the dash went blank and no longer displayed the "D". The vehicle still drove fine, but I was fearing that it wasn't completely in gear. I shifted into 3rd, then back into Drive, wriggled the shifter a bit more, and could manage to get the "D" to appear on the dash, but only by wriggling the shifter around. It wouldn't stay in drive. Then, the dreaded "M" and "S" lights came on and it felt as though the LR lost most of it's power. From what I understand, that was the LR going into limp mode, but I didn't know that at the time and feared I was going to be broke down. I parked, turned the vehicle off, shifted through the gears with the vehicle off, and started it again. It worked fine. Since then, it drives fine, but the indicator light beside the shifter sometimes doesn't show in Drive, and the "D" still goes in and out and wont stay. There was one more incident in which it wouldn't engage in either "D" or 3rd. Fluid in Transmission was filled till leaking out, the battery should be good as I've had no issues starting at all and it's fairly new. I have no idea what to do next. Someone told me it could be the Transfer case is low on fluid, so I intend to fill it up, and I took the shifter and gear indicator panel off and looked inside only to see stuff I had no idea what it did. I did find that there was a screw and a washer in the shifter that seems to be holding in a pin of some sort from popping out, which I imagine is a redneck fix for some issue had by the previous owner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the length.

M7CCF

Reaction score
Hi it sounds like the xyz switch needs adjusting on the side of the auto box , hence the M AND S lights flashing , also it could be a auto box fault needs to get it plugged in , find a garage that has the landrover T4 diagnostic [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV