New Discovery Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about the long term effect...only time will tell.

I agree-I would be concerned about wear and tear on the starter, as well as all the other electronic bits that will constantly be cycled on/off many times more frequently than usual.

david_h

Reaction score
Hopefully it will be possible to disable the system by removing a fuse or something like that.

The best thing would be if Land Rover offers it optional as part of one of its packages.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue why it isn't a feature you can simply disable within the configuration menu like BMW offers.

david_h

Reaction score
Scary stuff!!!
I just watched a TV program on the condition of planet earth and how humans have practically destroyed it through pollution; Boy, have we damaged our planet.

It changed my mind entirely regarding "ECO mode" on my future Discovery Sport; I want it ON all the time; as a matter of fact, if there was a 100% electric Discovery sport, I would go for that one.

Think about it Land Rover, give us an all Electric Discovery Sport; it is the right size for your company to start working on that platform.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scary stuff!!!
I just watched a TV program on the condition of planet earth and how humans have practically destroyed it through pollution; Boy, have we damaged our planet.

It changed my mind entirely regarding "ECO mode" on my future Discovery Sport; I want it ON all the time; as a matter of fact, if there was a 100% electric Discovery sport, I would go for that one.

Think about it Land Rover, give us an all Electric Discovery Sport; it is the right size for your company to start working on that platform.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

david_h

Reaction score

ECO mode stops the engine when it is not needed, reducing the emission of carbon monoxide, contributors of greenhouse effect.

So every little thing a car manufacturer can do to reduce this emissions is great.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You raise a good point. But, taking things in perspective, the Eco mode is just another potential electronic/electrical gremlin to worry about; Land Rover is already notorious for its electronic glitches. I could care less about greenhouse effect if I'm constantly paranoid (and humiliated) if the eco mode suddenly fails and I'm stranded in the middle of a busy intersection. If I am particularly concerned about my environment, the last vehicle I would purchase is 13mi/gallon gas-guzzling behemoth.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ECO mode stops the engine when it is not needed, reducing the emission of carbon monoxide, contributors of greenhouse effect.

So every little thing a car manufacturer can do to reduce this emissions is great.

:confused: Why did you buy LR4 if you believe in greenhouse effect. I just do not believe in global warming at all and all this political crap associated with this. I would not feel comfortable off roading with ECO mode on my truck.
Too bad it can not be permanently disabled in car settings. Anyway, congratulations on your LR4. It is the best SUV on the market. ( seats 7 adults in comfort, lots of cargo space, great ride and engine power , capable off road and will look good in 15 years)

david_h

Reaction score
You raise a good point. But, taking things in perspective, the Eco mode is just another potential electronic/electrical gremlin to worry about; Land Rover is already notorious for its electronic glitches. I could care less about greenhouse effect if I'm constantly paranoid (and humiliated) if the eco mode suddenly fails and I'm stranded in the middle of a busy intersection. If I am particularly concerned about my environment, the last vehicle I would purchase is 13mi/gallon gas-guzzling behemoth.

You are right when you say it is just another potential failure to worry about; I have read a lot about LR reliability; I just hope that they have improved their product, in particular with the Discovery Sport; sometimes I don't believe all the bad comments they write about LR

I believe I have to sacrifice a little, even if it means taking a chance of a car failure; we'll see how it goes...just cross my fingers.

I am planning to buy the Diesel version, and I think that the consumptions is going to be much better than 13 mpg. I hope LR builds a hybrid soon.

Last edited:

david_h

Reaction score
:confused: Why did you buy LR4 if you believe in greenhouse effect. I just do not believe in global warming at all and all this political crap associated with this. I would not feel comfortable off roading with ECO mode on my truck.
Too bad it can not be permanently disabled in car settings. Anyway, congratulations on your LR4. It is the best SUV on the market. ( seats 7 adults in comfort, lots of cargo space, great ride and engine power , capable off road and will look good in 15 years)

I don't own an LR4; in other thread I wrote that a friend of mine owns one.

I am still a VOLVO driver, I have driven a couple of them in the past 27 years; I still drive my first 1987 240GL; we call it "the tank", the only two parts I have changed on that car is the water pump, once, and the radiator, once, in all that time; the rest is just wear and tear parts that need to be changed like spark plugs, oil, brake pads, wiper blades, a/c maintenance, belts, etc.; As soon as we get the diesel Discovery Sport I will buy my first LR ever, and I hope it is a good experience.

Finally my Volvos will take a brake, and I say the will take a brake because I am sure someone else is going to buy them afterwards and drive them for another fifteen years. :smile:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA