Anyone done Exhaust upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a million things on these trucks being modified and upgraded, but I really dont see much of anyone talking about Exhaust Upgrades. Prior to my LR4, I had a 2012 X5 with the twin turbo V8. One thing I really miss is the amazing exhaust note of that truck. I find the LR4 extremely modest in that department. With that said, I have been looking around for options and the only one that pops up is this Magnaflow Exhaust:

http://www.magnaflow.com/sales/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=15577

Video and Sound here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/trucksound/landroverLR4_15577/landroverLR4.html

Has anyone taken the plunge into this? Just curious why many dont seem to touch the stock exhaust. Barring any glaring issues that I should be aware of, I am ready to pull the trigger on this myself.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bushway9172 deleted his resonator. His truck sounds great and he reported that it drives a little better (more responsive).

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deleted #8 in the attached diagram. There was some back and forth as to whether it is the muffler or one of the resonators.... I was under the impression it's the muffler, but with no emissions testing or inspections in FL, it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I originally did the mod because nobody else had done it, and I was curious how much sound you could get by doing such a simple mod. I've heard 5.0 Jags make some nice sounds in the past, so I knew it would sound good if I opened up the exhaust a little bit. Therefore, #8 was cut out and replaced by two stainless steel pipes (since it's a dual-in/dual-out muffler) by a local muffler shop that does their own welding. This was a 25 minute process and cost me around $80.

There are a few threads on this already, so apologies to those who have already seen those, but here's a brief review... It's loud, but c'mon guys, it's a V8. I know some people buy these to quietly motor their way to and from work, kids' schools, etc. but I love hearing the sound of the big V8 under the hood. I don't notice any drone on the highway, but when you really get on the gas, it sounds like an animal. During normal driving conditions with normal throttle input, it isn't a bother at all. My friends driving behind me or beside me say they can definitely tell it's got something done to it, but the insulation makes it very quiet inside the cabin. I have done many road trips since doing the mod, and I have nothing negative to say about it. I understand that the sound may be too much for some people (probably most people), but it's my truck, and I like the sound. For an $80 mod, I couldn't be happier. A few of the guys on here have heard it in person, including Axel, and they seem to like it as well!

I'll attach two YouTube links. One is a wide open throttle acceleration (on a closed road of course), and one is a video of my LR4 recovering an older Discovery in the woods a few weeks ago. The reason I attached the second one is so you can hear the sound it makes with a lesser amount of throttle input (and I just noticed someone appears to be complimented my exhaust in the video- haha!).

Enjoy and keep us posted.

http://youtu.be/sp4EX7-8bm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJSQ5jQsJ10

Attachments

• 7116200.jpg
    7116200.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, I bit the bullet and went for the Magnaflow. It's being shipped from manufacturer to Summit Racing, then to me overseas via FedEx. I will be sure to post some clips for those that might be interested!

Definitely going to install the standard outlet version. The quad pipes look cool and all, but you lose departure angles big time.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, I bit the bullet and went for the Magnaflow. It's being shipped from manufacturer to Summit Racing, then to me overseas via FedEx. I will be sure to post some clips for those that might be interested!

Definitely going to install the standard outlet version. The quad pipes look cool and all, but you lose departure angles big time.

Wow- Congrats. It's pricey but I'm sure you'll be happy with it. You might be the first one ever to install it. Also, good call on keeping the factory tips... I'd knock those quad tips off in a second.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Magnaflow comes with both options. Pretty good of them to keep both offroaders and street posers in mind. LOL. That said, I would rather it just come as an option and knock some of the price down.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you'll have some luck re-selling the quad tips on eBay or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA