Finally!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, very similar set up to mine. I love that I can just pull out a couple of totes, table and chair and I am ready for camp. Being 5'9", I was shocked at how short the space is in back of the LC. Lived in Oregon for a couple of years and the outdoor activities/opportunities are amazing! The state is a cluster, though...unless you swing that way politically. :) Well, Portland is a cluster.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Bhos, I would not have been able to do this in a Land Cruiser. And I'm not a tall person. A couple pics of how I set up my sleeping arrangement in the back of the truck. Not as fancy as those who build a platform but it worked great. And a pic of one of my campsites as I drove through Oregon.
Sorry, Dan... just getting a chance to look at this thread. That's a great setup and I've done something similar. Do you and your wife both fit there? It's amazing how much room is back there. I am thinking of going camping with my rover group in August, so I will need to stick everythign on my roof, as I will need a full sleeping space back there for me and the dogs.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, very similar set up to mine. I love that I can just pull out a couple of totes, table and chair and I am ready for camp. Being 5'9", I was shocked at how short the space is in back of the LC. Lived in Oregon for a couple of years and the outdoor activities/opportunities are amazing! The state is a cluster, though...unless you swing that way politically. :) Well, Portland is a cluster.

LOL! I spent most of my childhood in Portland and Eugene (mostly in Eugene). I left in '72 when drafted. Though I have not lived there sense I love to visit. And my father is a conservative, Republican and was a small businessman. You can imagine his feelings on how Oregon's politics have evolved. But I do love to visit there. We have lived in Colorado since '87. Oregon offers us a great change of pace. I especially like the Bend/Central Oregon area.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Dan... just getting a chance to look at this thread. That's a great setup and I've done something similar. Do you and your wife both fit there? It's amazing how much room is back there. I am thinking of going camping with my rover group in August, so I will need to stick everythign on my roof, as I will need a full sleeping space back there for me and the dogs.

So a couple of things to point out about these pictures:

• I am on a long road trip so I have a ton of extraneous stuff in the truck including a suitcase of clothes for a business trip, a stroller I was bringing to Seattle for our new/first grandchild, stuff for our kids, a large bin of hiking stuff for myself and my wife, a large bin of camping stuff, photo equipment, etc.
    To make room in this case I brought a small, instant pop-up tent. Rather than sleeping in the tent I put the inanimate cargo in the cold, on-the-ground tent and I slept in the truck.

David, my wife and I could fit in the back if I removed the other cargo. This is the reason the small tent. We also have a large tent that has a sleeve that covers the back end of the truck and thereby "integrates" with the two together. That smaller tent sets up in 2 mins and is great when we are moving from place to place. The larger tent would be better if we are stationary for a couple of days but is a large, heavy case/box so I didn't bring it on this trip.

As for you and the dogs it depends on how large they are and how "close" you are. ;-) But it could certainly work.

I really liked the idea of a small, quick setup tent to hold/protect the gear. I just made sure I could move 70% of it by movie two large cargo bins so it was quick. If a bear ventures by it can go after what is in the tent - I/we are safe in the truck.

And it is pretty cool to wake in the morning and look out those alpine roofs and big windows at a wonderful view. (Oh, I put a couple of my "hang up" clothes on hangers that I hang on the 3rd row passenger grips. I reposition them to cover the windows while sleeping.

And, finally, I am 5'8". I closed the tailgate and was fine. 6' and over may not be as comfortable.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Bend, Central Oregon, Deschutes are all amazing! We loved camping and skiing and exploring out there.

LOL! I spent most of my childhood in Portland and Eugene (mostly in Eugene). I left in '72 when drafted. Though I have not lived there sense I love to visit. And my father is a conservative, Republican and was a small businessman. You can imagine his feelings on how Oregon's politics have evolved. But I do love to visit there. We have lived in Colorado since '87. Oregon offers us a great change of pace. I especially like the Bend/Central Oregon area.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under the category of 'Finally':
I asked my LR sales guy; and the Service guy: Why can't I download a pdf file for the LR4 Owner's Manual. If I go to Topix, I can 'see' the manual pages, one page at a time; but there's no download link for the whole thing.
They tried and tried themselves to find out how to download a pdf. Bottom line; it's not available. Sent emails to LR corp, and the Topix people. Got promises of friendlier and mobile device friendly User's info. And there is an IOS App for a summary of LR4 features........BUT, no Owner's manual in electronic form.
Finally, the Service guy came back with the logical reason for this:
He said: 'If you lose your Owner's Manual, guess what you'll have to pay me for a replacement?'
I said: $150
He said: How about $750
I said; NF Way!!
He said: Way

So...I found out that it 'might be' possible to capture the pages of the manual from Topix, convert to pdf, and consolidate into a single file.
Send me a note with your email address if you'd like details....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your service guy is ********, a professional thief, and/or pulling information out of his own a** to sound intelligent and in-the-know. Ask him if those $750 include a bag of the same crack he is smoking, or at least a jar of Vaseline? You can buy a copy of the original Owner's Handbook for less than $50 from JLR directly, or the whole package of literature that comes with the new car (including Quick Start Guide, Dispute Resolution booklet, Passport to Service, even the vinyl folder / wallet to carry all that crap around) for about 80-100 bucks, depending on model year. Go to the Webshop (you may need to register, which costs $695. No, actually it's free...): https://www.jaguarlandroverliterature.com/jlr/landrover/

That's why online forums exist, we need to fight The Stupid at the dealership.

Last edited:

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. It seems the dealer staff don't know much about what's online; in the Jaguar/Land Rover world. They always seem surprised when I show them J/LR info online.
They certainly didn't know about the literature site. Now I do. So Thanks.

Still, no electronic versions of manuals online.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2012 pdf and the quick start in pdf.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV