NAV8 vs SCV6 Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I know this has been a heated debate as to why people have picked a 2013 model before it ended and not sure about the SCV6. Those of us with a 2014 have probably never had a chance to even drive an LR4 with the NAV8.

Last week I was able to have a 2011 LR4 loaner vehicle while my 2014 was in the shop. This gave me an opportunity to check out the 5.0 V8 in the previous models. I had the vehicle for 24 hours so I was able to really compare it to my daily routine in comparison to my SCV6 performance.

Couple Thoughts - Good and Bad:
1) While I will say, the NAV8 sounds amazing in comparison to the SCV6's Supercharger whine, I wasn't overly impressed.
2) I really didn't feel like the V8 had more power than my SCV6. Navigating city streets or cruising down the highway, there was no significant difference in coming to speed or lane changing in traffic.
3) There was a noticeable difference between a NA engine and a FI engine in terms of throttle response. You have to approach the gas pedal differently.
4) Fuel mileage was about 1 MPG less than what I typically get in my vehicle.
5) Really didn't like the gear shift. I know people think the knob in the 2014 is somewhat silly but it really opens up space in the center console area.

I had expectations that when I got back in my SCV6 there was going to be a huge empty feeling in my gut from feeling like the V8 was going to be missed, but there wasn't. I am perfectly happy with the SCV6 in my 2014 LR4.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I know this has been a heated debate as to why people have picked a 2013 model before it ended and not sure about the SCV6. Those of us with a 2014 have probably never had a chance to even drive an LR4 with the NAV8.

Last week I was able to have a 2011 LR4 loaner vehicle while my 2014 was in the shop. This gave me an opportunity to check out the 5.0 V8 in the previous models. I had the vehicle for 24 hours so I was able to really compare it to my daily routine in comparison to my SCV6 performance.

Couple Thoughts - Good and Bad:
1) While I will say, the NAV8 sounds amazing in comparison to the SCV6's Supercharger whine, I wasn't overly impressed.
2) I really didn't feel like the V8 had more power than my SCV6. Navigating city streets or cruising down the highway, there was no significant difference in coming to speed or lane changing in traffic.
3) There was a noticeable difference between a NA engine and a FI engine in terms of throttle response. You have to approach the gas pedal differently.
4) Fuel mileage was about 1 MPG less than what I typically get in my vehicle.
5) Really didn't like the gear shift. I know people think the knob in the 2014 is somewhat silly but it really opens up space in the center console area.

I had expectations that when I got back in my SCV6 there was going to be a huge empty feeling in my gut from feeling like the V8 was going to be missed, but there wasn't. I am perfectly happy with the SCV6 in my 2014 LR4.

Glad to hear! As I started to read this thread I was thinking you might go the other way. It certainly sounds like it is "close enough" which is good for me. SC should help me in the mountains/elevation or at least keep me from losing much. We reserved at 4,500 lbs trailer for a 2 week trip over to SW CO (Ouray, Telluride, etc.) later this summer. I'm counting on that SCV6 to get me there. And I most definitely don't want to experience what waterndirt is going through!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can almost guarentee your SCV6 is a heck of a lot more peppy than my heavy LR4 with V8 :)

Thanks for posting the comparison!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can almost guarentee your SCV6 is a heck of a lot more peppy than my heavy LR4 with V8 :)

Thanks for posting the comparison!

I'm sure it won't be once I start loading stuff on it. Wait and see. If you get a chance can you send me an updated list with everything you have installed on yours? I know you have changed some items recently. :wink:

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear there isn't (or not much) a significant drop off in performance between the V8 and V6 to you, also good to hear you have your LR4 back.

I feel fortunate that when I get my '14 LR4 I won't have any experience having driven a V8 and won't be concerned at all with what I might be missing.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it won't be once I start loading stuff on it. Wait and see. If you get a chance can you send me an updated list with everything you have installed on yours? I know you have changed some items recently. :wink:
Just sent you a PM! :-D

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are failing to see one piece of the puzzle though. I am willing to bet a lot of what you are feeling is also in the new 8 speed transmission. Put the V8 with the new 8 speed and I think you would have a different opinion.

Most other vehicles transition to the 8 speed while maintaining their current engine (BMW for example) and the transformation is very noticeable.

Wish there was a way to do an apples to apples comparison, but there isnt. The old gearbox in the V8 is going to really detract for a side by side comparison.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are failing to see one piece of the puzzle though. I am willing to bet a lot of what you are feeling is also in the new 8 speed transmission. Put the V8 with the new 8 speed and I think you would have a different opinion.

Most other vehicles transition to the 8 speed while maintaining their current engine (BMW for example) and the transformation is very noticeable.

Wish there was a way to do an apples to apples comparison, but there isnt. The old gearbox in the V8 is going to really detract for a side by side comparison.

Surf, I 100% agree with you and have said that I would have loved to had the V8 with the 8 speed auto. I left that piece out on purpose, granted, to a degree it can't full be left out.

But, like you said, we will never know what that combo could have presented. I would like to think that LR tried it and found it just wasn't good enough. Odd's are it would have caused more changes which would have cost more and that was the reason. We will never know.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think slightly better mpg from the combination of the 8speed and the SCV6 are really the explanation for LR switching to the SCV6, the gearbox was past due for a change and was already used on the diesel versions in Europe.
In the end they're really using a 8speed with V8 out of which they only use 6 cylinders and added a supercharger.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think slightly better mpg from the combination of the 8speed and the SCV6 are really the explanation for LR switching to the SCV6, the gearbox was past due for a change and was already used on the diesel versions in Europe.
In the end they're really using a 8speed with V8 out of which they only use 6 cylinders and added a supercharger.

I'm intrigued by your comments with HW performance because I've actually talked to my dealer and they say the opposite. Where you may see a difference is when you are needing to throttle to quickly pass on the HW and the extra horses and the V8 engine does it effortlessly while the SCV6 is not as competant, in comparison. I have no personal experience so real-life feedback like yours is helpful. I don't mind the design tweeks with the exterior so I would like to consider the LR4 in the future. The shift knob is something I would have to get use to as it was weird with the Evoque loaners I drove in the past.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi