NAV8 vs SCV6 Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by your comments with HW performance because I've actually talked to my dealer and they say the opposite. Where you may see a difference is when you are needing to throttle to quickly pass on the HW and the extra horses and the V8 engine does it effortlessly while the SCV6 is not as competant, in comparison. I have no personal experience so real-life feedback like yours is helpful. I don't mind the design tweeks with the exterior so I would like to consider the LR4 in the future. The shift knob is something I would have to get use to as it was weird with the Evoque loaners I drove in the past.

I could understand the horsepower discussion as clearly the V8 has more and the HW is where this would come in handy. I think where the SCV6 really shines is with how constant the torque band seems to be. This gives it the feeling that in HW maneuvers there is plenty there to move the beast. Where the HP never fully comes in to me as I am not trying to get to 140MPH, just trying to get to +5 or +10 mph faster.

I will say that I was on the highway and did floor it from about 60-65 and was let down. I expected it to really kick me in the pants and scoot and it really didn't seem to do it any better than my SCV6, maybe a smidgen but nothing substantial. Certainly nothing like BMW's of my past or current.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had the LR4 V8 for many months now, I can tell you that unless you floor it (and even then) the LR4 in D is not really using the engine well at all. I don't mind because it is my "chill" car, but without a doubt, the engine comes alive in S mode. Go figure - the car struggles to get past 2krpm in D mode under normal driving.

I tell people that S mode is the "I'm late" mode. It really make everything better - but uses more fuel and is more on edge. I seldom invoke S mode, because I have other cars to raise my pulse.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I want "D" to be chill, its bentley mode, its smooth torque, not jumpy sporty.

I do also want a Jag F-Type with the V8, thats an entirely different animal.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing about S mode is with my Magnaflow exhaust. When you slow down, it downshifts and blips the throttle each gear down. You get a nice burble deep in the exhaust that sounds fantastic.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best thing about S mode is with my Magnaflow exhaust. When you slow down, it downshifts and blips the throttle each gear down. You get a nice burble deep in the exhaust that sounds fantastic.

I'd love to hear more about your exhaust.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you're happy with it. Still glad I got the 2013 with the 5.0V8 though.
:driver:

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surf, I 100% agree with you and have said that I would have loved to had the V8 with the 8 speed auto.

Couldn't agree more. I have the 8 cylinder / 8 speed zf transmission combo on my BMW and love it! Also, I bet that you would find that 1 mpg improvement that the SCV6 offers.

..mg..

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. As with any FI motor, the potential for engine tuning is definitely there with the new SC V6 in the '14 LR4. Has there been any news/progress/info on whether or not an aftermarket tune will be available? I'm sure LR left a lot of power and torque on the table.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. As with any FI motor, the potential for engine tuning is definitely there with the new SC V6 in the '14 LR4. Has there been any news/progress/info on whether or not an aftermarket tune will be available? I'm sure LR left a lot of power and torque on the table.

I too have been interested in this as an option but have not spent too much time on researching it yet as there are other things I need todo first.

That said. I have seen some Jags with our engine tuned. So it clearly is an option with the engine. I just worry that the LR has so many more electronics if it will cause an issue. Not sure.

Let us know what you find.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut