Need Advice for Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obdoc

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4. Currently have Bridgestone Dueler h/l alenza 255/55-19 on car. Taking a trip to the mountains this coming weekend and it usually is not a problem, but there is some snow in the forecast and I might need chains as a backup. Time and options are limited so I am in need of something that is available on Amazon Prime shipping so I can get it in time.

Here are my questions:
1. If I have one set of chains--rear or front? Does ascending or descending change that?
2. How much clearance is there for the chains?
3. Which chains would you suggest?

The best options I saw on Amazon are either the Thule XG12 which need 12mm clearance or Security Chain Company options--The only one in stock is z579.

Need to get on this ASAP. Looking for any advice.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR sells OEM chains. I'm sure that as with all OEM LR stuff, it will be a small fortune, but I'm sure they would be good and fit perfectly.

I'm almost positive you put chains on the front wheels.

Google the LR OEM chains. They are on the accessory catalog as well (also online).

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with chains. Get tire socks. For snow and ice, they work better and take almost no space in the wheel well. Easy to put on and take off.

They make them for specific tire sizes.

You're welcome. :)

dj_karl

Reaction score
Never tried but I heard that snow socks are better if you are driving on pavement covered with snow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72