New LR4 owner - upgraded 4Runner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarryWCombs

Reaction score
Hi all - new user and new LR owner.
After 20+ years of Toyota's sewing machine like reliability (1994 Toyota "Truck" with 215k miles, 2007 4Runner with 115k miles) I just took the plunge and bought one of my dream trucks - 2016 LR4 LUX - White with Almond. Trading in the 4Runner. Also adding 7 year / 100k warranty....JUST IN CASE.

Wife and I needed a 3rd row vehicle and mini van was not an option. Sequoia was too big... Land Cruiser was too expensive....GL-S didn't have 4x4 pedigree of the others...

Pick it up Saturday and can't wait. Always in the back of my thoughts I'll have the reliability thing on my mind, but in my extensive research I did not find much constantly wrong with the 2014+ models.... they eat gas and brakes.... okay...they are heavy trucks I can accept that. Car and Driver said it wasn't quick as other trucks..I have a car if I want to go "quick". Just as long as I can always get out if the weather is ever bad.

Have been reading board for weeks in my research and wanted to get started using it in case I needed support since my dealer is 90 miles away!!!

Apologize ahead of time for many of the dumb questions to come....and happy to finally be a Land Rover owner!!!

Car History
Current:
2016 LR4 LUX
2011 550i (6sp manual)
1994 Toyota 4x4 Truck (5sp manual)

Previous
2009 TSX (6sp manual)
2007 4Runner
1998 Jetta (5sp manual)
1997 Miata (5sp manual)
1990 Mercury Capri Hatchback (5sp manual)
1980 Ford Mustang
1979 Ford Fiesta (4sp manual)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. You have certainly invested in a unique and very capable vehicle. We love ours - and we looked hard at the LC. Had the money for the LC but preferred the interior capability and flexibility, the air suspension and the interior "feel" of the LR4. (We have a 2014.) I, too, wondered about the reliability compared to Toyota and, to be honest, I don't expect to get 300K miles out of my LR4 like I might expect with a LC. But I don't need to. I do expect to get 150-200K out of my LR4. I have had it 18 months and I have 42K on it and its doing awesome. We've used it for long highway road trips, lots of off road exploring, camping (including sleeping in the back), towing a 6K lbs travel trailer over 11K' mountain passes in CO. Not sure where you live but if it is anywhere near areas where you can "explore" then you will love it.

BarryWCombs

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reassuring comments... Glad to hear your truck is doing so well!! Had all those thoughts going through my head as well...we also looked HARD at the LC and almost pulled trigger on it......thought if I bought a LC I could get 300k+ out of it... but don't think I would be this excited about a LC... can't wait until we pick it up...5 more days!!!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like you said, brakes and tires. That's all you will typically deal with in an LR4. My 2013 has been extremely reliable. Two years into ownership and the two front lower control arm bushings are currently being replaced (under warranty). Other than that, its been flawless.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please accept my condolences. I went from an LR4 LUX to a Lexus LX570, and never looked back. LR4 was very, very nice but monthly visits to a not so nice service department got to be a major nuisance. YMMV

BarryWCombs

Reaction score
Hate to hear that uhur. If it does now work out I'll probably go back to Toyota products. Have never let me down so far. Can't wait to find out!

LINYLR

Reaction score
Best of luck with your new truck! LR4's at times can definitely live up to their reliability reputation. In my first 4 months of ownership we had an A/C compressor that didn't work (Dealer had the truck for 10 days), significant front differential work (Dealer had the truck for a week), and a Check Engine light that was solved with a software upgrade (Dealer had the truck for a day). My wife, the primary driver, said one more trip to the dealer and she was going to sell it. After those problems in the first 4 months, we have not have any problems and my wife loves the truck.

BarryWCombs

Reaction score
Picked up the new truck last night. Made it all the way home without breaking so my confidence it now through the roof!! :)
Seriously love LOVE everything about the truck. After tons of research it exceeds my expectations in everyday. Ride comfort, space, functionality... all great.

Things I liked more than I thought I would:
Automatic High Beams - great lights already but very cool feature.
Radio - love the functionality and of course the SOUND.

Dislikes:
In Control Aps. I had zero expectations for them and they failed to live up to that. Maybe they will get better but I see zero use for them at the moment.
Eco mode - no one seems to like it... I just turn it off each time - and while I normally would not like the bright light telling me that it's off on the instrument panel - the top of the steering wheel just happens to block that part of the screen so I can't see it!!!

Drunk with new car love right now - hope it lasts for a good long time.. will try to keep everyone posted.

Attachments

• bcjcLR4.jpg
    bcjcLR4.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 51

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, Barry! If you haven't seen the vid below from LR celebrating the 25 anniversary of Discovery, check it out. There is so much this vehicle is capable of that most people don't realize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkxedlFSBY&app=desktop#t=173.550158204

BTW, you mentioned eco mode. Which made me wonder why I don't notice it anymore. Either I have gotten used to it or I found a way to turn it off. I am thinking that it is not happening anymore. If I can figure out why I'll let you know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72