Change out differential and transfer case fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just changed my rear diff today at 51K miles and found a fair amount of shavings. I'm a bit surprised considering I changed it at around 25K also.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

I recently changed my transmission fluid (transfer case) and both differentials after 5 years (30K miles).

The fluids were all dirty and there were some shavings in the diffs.

Although I did the fluids change now because of their age (and not mileage), I am glad I did it. Although the conventional wisdom is that everything is good for around 70K miles, I don't see how they could have lasted that long without more damage. My guess is DiscoMike is right: more frequent/sooner is better.

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone changed their transmission fluid (not transfer case) yet???

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread, but extremely useful, completed this service today, 57K miles. I drove the rear on home built ramps, front on jack stands, driver side wheel removed. Some additional thoughts (can't load up photos on the site for some reason):

1. Get a plastic 1 liter can from a homedepot type place, they have graduation and makes easy to measure how much fluid comes out and then how much goes in.
2. I used Redline for the differentials, and Land Rover for the transfer case. $50 with AARP discount
3. A $10 transfer pump from Amazon worked wonders, excellent choice
4. I removed 0.6L from front, 1.2L from rear, 1.4L from transfer case
5. Rear diff, fluid came right out from fill hole, not much, but enough that I used the hole as a fill volume
6. Use the plastic can in number 1 to measure 0.6L, and pump it to the front diff. Couldn't be any easier

That's it, easy peasy job. All fluids were pretty black.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing all of my annual maintenance for my 2011 LR4 at the dealer. I just made my appointment for the 5 year 75k miles service, and they recommended to change both the transfer case fluid and the locking differential fluid with this service. They quoted me something around $750 total. Last year I paid $370, so I guess they are charging me something around $380 for changing these fluids. Does this seem reasonable?

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends, what else are they doing for 5 yr service? The transfer case fluid was $50 to buy since its unique. The diff fluids are not, so no dealer gouging.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are doing everything they always do for annual maintenance (oil change, filters, tire rotation, etc), plus the additional 2 fluid changes. My previous annual service was around $370. With the fluid changes, it will be around $750 is what they quoted me. This is the first time the suggested changing these fluids. I've never changed these fluids before.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's high, but if you are use to dealer prices, the fluids could be $100, plus labor of an hour extra, I really don't know since I only go there for warranty work. Sorry can't help you with that.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that I've always used the dealer for maintenance and they've never recommended the fluids be changed until now -- the 5 year 75k service. Based on some of the stuff on this thread about finding shavings and such, it seems like perhaps the recommendation should be sooner.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have worked in a heavy equipment garage in H.S., and at Land Rover for 2 years after that. I have done many transfer/differential/transmission fluid changes. The filing/shaving are perfectly normal, and should not be a cause for concern. Be more concerned if there is anything bigger than than a fingernail clipping. The "dark" and "burnt" smell are also perfectly normal. Gear/diff fluid stinks when it's new. let alone after 50K+ miles. Differentials, Transmissions, and Transfer cases get really hot when in operation and do not have any real way of cooling down like and engine or transmission. The different fluid required for the locking differentials is due to the clutch packs in the "lockers". They require a light(er) weight oil when compared to the open differentials in the non-HD package, and also more detergent or cleaning agents.
Atlatic British has the entire service kit (fluids, and drain/fill plugs) for $150.00. Even with shipping that is a deal over the dealers

Also on a bit of a side note, used oil in the diffs, transfer case, and transmission also help maintain even wear. The filings, and used oil help to take up tolerances, and prolong the life of the part. This is only to an extent, as eventually the lubricating and cooling properties are reduced beyond a useful point and do more harm than good. This interval is also referred to as the service interval. The service interval for anything oil, coolants, or other fluids have increased over the years due to advanced technology (and the need to lower ownership cost) with additives, and various detergents that help extend the properties of the original fluid. This is also why you have so many aftermarket options for fluids. These aftermarket companies typically add more of these detergents and additives than the cheaper (in most cases) OEM options. My DIY oil change cost me $65.00. $40.00 of which is the S.O. filter at NAPA. The rest is using Royal Purple Synthetic oil that exceeds the OEM specification. Typically you get what you pay for except when going to the dealer for fluids. If you review Atlantic British's website you will see both the OEM fluid, and an "OEM" option in MOST cases. Typically this is the OEM supplier in it's own packaging, so you are not paying for the LR branding.
Shop smart, do some research, and save yourself some money. When in doubt ask your local service department. Land Rover of Scarborough is great in this aspect. They know I will rarely bring my vehicle to them, since it is out of warranty, but they still are willing to help with advice and points of emphasis when I ask them. To them it's not always about the bottom line, but also keeping loyal customers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA