different tire pressures front vs rear tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front will normally wear faster as they see more action (when steering and hard braking) than the rear ones.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rotate your tires to avoid uneven wear. I rotate all 5 with my setup.

aj22

Reaction score
Front will normally wear faster as they see more action (when steering and hard braking) than the rear ones.

That's been my experience with my other cars, though they've mostly been front wheel drive, so it's more pronounced. With people talking about rear brakes going more quickly, and really depending on the balance of the LR4, I thought rear might be worse. I'll leave them as-is for the time being then.

aj22

Reaction score
You can rotate your tires to avoid uneven wear. I rotate all 5 with my setup.

Yes, but given that I have two more worn tires, without really knowing the original locations, the question is, where do I rotate them now?
Usually, I'd know, but when I had snows put on and off, it was all done by the tire shop, so I didn't really pay attention, though obviously I should have.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rear brakes often wear faster than the front ones on the LR4 simply because they are way smaller (by comparison.) On the LR3 they used to outlast the fronts nearly 2:1 on average, so Land Rover put bigger front discs and pads along with the more powerful engine on the 4, but left the rears pretty much alone. Can't think of any other reasons as the two cars are otherwise almost identical in weight / weight distribution and driving dynamics.

Last edited:

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the rear brakes often wear faster than the front ones on the LR4 simply because they are way smaller (by comparison.) On the LR3 they used to outlast the fronts nearly 2:1 on average, so Land Rover put bigger front discs and pads along with the more powerful engine on the 4, but left the rears pretty much alone. Can't think of any other reasons as the two cars are otherwise almost identical in weight / weight distribution and driving dynamics.

FWIW, my service advisor told me that the rear brakes go first because the braking system favors the rear brakes in order to reduce nose dive. Which makes some sense to me given the vehicle's monstrous weight.

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
Good brakes has to do with disappating heat efficiently. Front brakes are bigger because of this. Also, front brakes do the majority of the stopping (think back to your BMX days). excessive rear brake wear could be due to the electric nanny of stability control if you drive that way. If the vehicle biased the system to favor rear brakes, a truck of this weight would have the stopping distance of a big rig.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good brakes has to do with disappating heat efficiently. Front brakes are bigger because of this. Also, front brakes do the majority of the stopping (think back to your BMX days). excessive rear brake wear could be due to the electric nanny of stability control if you drive that way. If the vehicle biased the system to favor rear brakes, a truck of this weight would have the stopping distance of a big rig.

I said "favor" in my message, but that word is probably a little strong. We all know that the fronts are doing most of the work, but I think the service advisor was saying that the rears are getting a more-than-normal bias to prevent/reduce dive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72