2015 side step -- really a side impact safety feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine the rest of the truck (minus side steps) is 100% the same as previous years.

LR4inOK

Reaction score
Here are a few photos of the brackets from when I installed side steps on my 2011 LR4. They bolt to existing threaded holes and the steps don't reduce ground clearance. I installed them so my wife could get in and out easier but didn't realize how much I liked them until I had a loaner that didn't have them.

Attachments

• DSC05613.JPG
    DSC05613.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC05614.JPG
    DSC05614.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC05615.JPG
    DSC05615.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC05616.JPG
    DSC05616.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC05617.JPG
    DSC05617.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 61

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of the brackets from when I installed side steps on my 2011 LR4. They bolt to existing threaded holes and the steps don't reduce ground clearance. I installed them so my wife could get in and out easier but didn't realize how much I liked them until I had a loaner that didn't have them.

These brackets look different than the brackets in the first post.

My thoughts on increased support for the sliders are those silver blocks that are shown in the OP. I don't remember ever seeing those on my 2014.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks better without the steps.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this topic has popped up again as new MY15 owners are joining the ranks I thought I would offer a couple thoughts.

First, my dealer service rep (pretty reliable and well connected LR guy) said that the safety issue is not only protecting the people in the vehicle but (and maybe more importantly) when a lower slung vehicle hits the LR4 in a side impact, the LR4 is more likely to ride up on the smaller/lower car which then goes underneath it increasing the risk to the people in the smaller/lower car. The existence of a solid "bar" lower to the ground and not angled inwards helps prevent this from happening. I can see how that would make sense given the higher clearance and body shape of the LR4. But I tend to be a bit old school and wonder when the obsession with safety (not all bad) will go too far. Combine that with the obsession of MPG and maybe we should just all stay home and travel no further than we can walk.

I suspect the reason for all of the "do not remove" wording is that it clears Land Rover of any liability should you have a side impact accident where some protection like that would have made a difference. I suspect a lot of what drives the safety-oriented design changes and restrictions (i.e. not being able to use the Nav screen while moving which will be true in future models as it is in many other current vehicle models) is in part to avoid law suits and safety recalls.

BTW, I know some of you will be disappointed that I am not going to go with hefty, rock sliders. But I was given a great deal on some black side protection tubes. I'll show pics once I get them installed.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this topic has popped up again as new MY15 owners are joining the ranks I thought I would offer a couple thoughts.

First, my dealer service rep (pretty reliable and well connected LR guy) said that the safety issue is not only protecting the people in the vehicle but (and maybe more importantly) when a lower slung vehicle hits the LR4 in a side impact, the LR4 is more likely to ride up on the smaller/lower car which then goes underneath it increasing the risk to the people in the smaller/lower car. The existence of a solid "bar" lower to the ground and not angled inwards helps prevent this from happening. I can see how that would make sense given the higher clearance and body shape of the LR4. But I tend to be a bit old school and wonder when the obsession with safety (not all bad) will go too far. Combine that with the obsession of MPG and maybe we should just all stay home and travel no further than we can walk.

I suspect the reason for all of the "do not remove" wording is that it clears Land Rover of any liability should you have a side impact accident where some protection like that would have made a difference. I suspect a lot of what drives the safety-oriented design changes and restrictions (i.e. not being able to use the Nav screen while moving which will be true in future models as it is in many other current vehicle models) is in part to avoid law suits and safety recalls.

BTW, I know some of you will be disappointed that I am not going to go with hefty, rock sliders. But I was given a great deal on some black side protection tubes. I'll show pics once I get them installed.

My dealer gave the same explanation - it is for the vehicle hitting the side and that it will not go under.

Again, I do not mind having steps, but is there a set of nerf bars, rock sliders, etc. that will look better but still add the safety of the steps?

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks fairly substantial and the aluminum blocks offer solid mounting areas to the frame. Is it "safer" with the steps than without? Probably, in that it is more material...although I wouldn't give a second thought about removing it.

When I originally was going to order a 2014 my plan was to install sliders with steps, but since I changed to a 2015 I didn't see a point in removing the steps to install sliders...especially since the topsides will see little feet a whole lot more than the bottom side will see rocks :)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Voyager LR4 slider with steps and couldn't be happier. I think the stock LR step looks terrible and flimsy as hell. I can't fathom how they argue it adds safety. The Voyager ones weigh about 80lb a piece!

Here's some pics of the Voyager sliders (not mine):

Attachments

• Slide.jpg
    Slide.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 85
  • slider.jpg
    slider.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Voyager LR4 slider with steps and couldn't be happier. I think the stock LR step looks terrible and flimsy as hell. I can't fathom how they argue it adds safety. The Voyager ones weigh about 80lb a piece!

Here's some pics of the Voyager sliders (not mine):

I agree with you on the looks of the factory steps. Moms like them at first, in the summer when you give them your first Land Rover but then they say, "in the winter the snow builds up on top and they're a super PITA to deal with when all that stuff is frozen solid!". So then the son has to remove the steps ;)

Those you posted aren't the same model sliders in each photo. Voyager might be on the left, unmounted, but the mounted ones are defunct "Rover Specialties".

I have some and they are not as narrow as the Voyager. The RS are about 14" deep along the middle and then even deeper at the ends in an angular shape to follow the frame rails underneath. Also, the RS are exactly 100lbs each side.

The top/mounting side, RS, look nothing like those unmounted ones either.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer gave the same explanation - it is for the vehicle hitting the side and that it will not go under.

Again, I do not mind having steps, but is there a set of nerf bars, rock sliders, etc. that will look better but still add the safety of the steps?

Are you kidding or asking something I am not understanding? Pretty much ALL "nerf bars, rock sliders" will add more "safety" compared to the factory toys.

Which ones and aesthetics is up to you. To be clear, not all "sliders" are also built with a stand-off bar and/or "step". I think it would be silly to go through the trouble and expense of any aftermarket sill-slider that cannot also protect from lateral impacts whether they be low cars or massive rocks or tree roots on trails.

I made great use of mine in two recent outings, one of which would have crunched the entire lower door area front to back without the slider "nerf bar".

To make these a safe "step", I applied a 1" continuous strip of 3M grip tape to the topside because alone, a painted round 2" tube is dangerously slippery at times.

This was a trail near Mt Rainier marked "recommended only for short wheelbase 4wd vehicles with at least 36" tires, dual lockers, and winch". so I figured, ooh, that sounds like fun... :bandit: It does help to have the ability to lift my rear differential at least 14" above the ground though which puts the sliders outside edge at over 16"

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA