2015 side step -- really a side impact safety feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make these a safe "step", I applied a 1" continuous strip of 3M grip tape to the topside because alone, a painted round 2" tube is dangerously slippery at times.

Oh. I like that idea. I'm having the the protection tubes installed today/tomorrow. Not expecting them to be a "step" but putting something tacky on the top would at least give you the option of using it as a "step up".

How are things in the PNW these days? Our boys are in Seattle so we get up that way a bit. In fact, my youngest is planning to climb Rainier in a couple weeks.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dubroz; I was under my 2015 LR4 the other day and after the winter the frame for the steps is beat up with rocks and starting to rust. I wanted to remove them sand, hit with primer and spray on rubberized bed liner. I pulled out the bolts on the bottom shown in your picture and they are still solid to the vehicle. Do I have to remove the molding along the side of the vehicle to get to other bolts. Thanks in advance. I agree with you it looks better without and the winter just throws junk on them but I carry my mom all over the city to doctors and she needs the assist for getting in and out.

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
I just had my 2015 factory installed side steps removed and replaced with T4x4 Sliders. I am in an apartment for few more months with no tools or work area, but I have a "Guy" He removed the steps and installed the sliders and without getting into detail said it was a much more technical job on this vehicle than earlier model years. He has been working on Rovers of all kinds for many years, and has done this job countless times in the past. These steps are not your fathers steps...so to speak.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured out how to remove the side steps. First you remove the tread and aluminum outside rail by removing several nuts from the underside. Then you remove the black plastic trim piece along the rocker panel by removing the two rivets on underneath and the two sheet metal screws by the back tire. Next you remove all but one of the torx bolts thru the side of the rocker panel and them remove the torx bolts along the bottom of the rocker panel. I then set under the step frame and removed the last side bolt and let it drop in my lap. It is not lite but after one winter it was rusted both on the step frame, and under the rubber mat on top. If you are handy something you might want to do each spring if you live in an area that uses salt or sand for snow and ice. This year it cleaned up easy will see what next year brings.

Derman

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the look of these and was all set to remove them, but...they are handy.

For putting stuff on top - such as a paddleboard - I was paying attention to how much I used them and it was a fair amount. I'm going to see how it goes over the summer and then I might take them off and/or replace them.

5DPatrick - please post a picture if you get a chance.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think those steps (the factory installed ones on the 2015s, not the accessory ones of years past) would actually be pretty effective in a side impact, those aluminum blocks look like crumple zones designed to collapse in a controlled manner and absorb the bulk of the impact should someone sideswipe you and push the side steps into the frame. Also, looks are subjective but if you don't off-road those steps also offer additional hidden "perks", such as protecting your paintwork from door dings in tight parking spots, especially if you remember to raise your suspensions to off-road height... Car doors are going to hit the steps before touching your paint.

Last edited:

5Dpatrick

Reaction score
Some pics, underside, door sill and side view of my Tactical 4X4 sliders.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Staff online