2015 side step -- really a side impact safety feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigVDawgy

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but it's my understanding the LR4 design for crash certification starts with the original classification date, and is grand-fathered in... e.g., once certified, it doesn't require re-certification when new laws change or go into effect until the vehicle is redesigned within a cycle limitation. The side-steps are absolutely horrendous regardless how much one can spin/or justify otherwise. We are taking safety to a new level of stupidity. Are we really facing a new era where vehicles need to be set at a low-safe ride height now? Why isn't JEEP affected by this? Or the Toyota Land Cruiser, if in fact this is true?

From other examples it doesn't look like there is a Grandfather clause when it comes to Federal Side Impact regulations. Case in point, Aston Martin almost stopped selling it's most popular models but managed an exemption from NHTSA
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/02/aston-martin-exemption-safety-standards-report/

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From other examples it doesn't look like there is a Grandfather clause when it comes to Federal Side Impact regulations. Case in point, Aston Martin almost stopped selling it's most popular models but managed an exemption from NHTSA
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/02/aston-martin-exemption-safety-standards-report/

Yeah, I'm not sure at all. It was more of just open questions. Are the sidesteps for crash safety for the LR4, or cars that crash into them because of ride height? But the ride height doesn't make sense, because what about all the other SUVs out there that have a simular ride height. And in all honestly, the LR4 is a tank, would those things really be necessary for a side impact qualification? I'm only asking and prying because I'm about to order a '16 RRS diesel, but also miss my LR4... and was toying with the idea of getting another one. But I would remove the sidesteps upon delivery. And if I removed them, what would happen then? If they clearly say do not remove, safety message. The last thing I would want is to be liable because not being educated on exactly why they were implemented for 2015 LR4s in the US. Also, I have somewhat gotten used to them and they don't look that bad. But I'd rather not have them on there for off-roading reason. I just wish we knew for sure why, and if they are removed, what happens. I don't want to get one and find out I'm stuck with them.

Disco Fever

Reaction score
I'm about to take delivery of a MY'16 and have been researching removal of the steps. From what I understand reading through this thread those aluminum blocks are crumple zones designed solely to work in conjunction with the OEM steps in the event of a side impact and not heat sinks as others have suggested? I am thinking about ordering/installing a pair of Tactical sliders and it looks like these blocks would need to be removed to accommodate.
It seems obvious but can anyone confirm this? Also how are they attached?

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aluminum blocks are held on with three or four bolts I can' remember. They are not heat sinks. When I took off the side steps last spring to clean up the rust on the step frame I pulled each of the aluminum bolts off to anti seize the threads. If I remember they were 10mm hex bolts. Make sure you blow out the c'bored holes they fill up with dirt and it is hard to get the socket on the bolt heads.

Disco Fever

Reaction score
I think they may have said that because they kinda/sorta look like giant heat sinks... But they are definitely installed down there to crumple and mitigate the effects of a side collision.

Thanks for the feedback. I assume these are meant to work solely in conjunction with the OEM side steps and otherwise serve no purpose?

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would prefer to take off but if left on and I do not want to get a new set of running boards, is there a way to paint or coat the silver outboard portion to black? I want a durable coating that will not look cheap and nicked up 2 months later.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would prefer to take off but if left on and I do not want to get a new set of running boards, is there a way to paint or coat the silver outboard portion to black? I want a durable coating that will not look cheap and nicked up 2 months later.

The outside appears to me to be aluminum. If painted, that would nick up for sure with all the road dirt and debris hitting it. Unless you took it apart and then had it black anodized, but that's a chore if not impossible.

neezer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think those steps (the factory installed ones on the 2015s, not the accessory ones of years past) would actually be pretty effective in a side impact, those aluminum blocks look like crumple zones designed to collapse in a controlled manner and absorb the bulk of the impact should someone sideswipe you and push the side steps into the frame. Also, looks are subjective but if you don't off-road those steps also offer additional hidden "perks", such as protecting your paintwork from door dings in tight parking spots, especially if you remember to raise your suspensions to off-road height... Car doors are going to hit the steps before touching your paint.

Umberto that is such a good idea! Thank you. I will try to remember to always park it in the off-road height, because, well, how should i put this nicely...the average person who I have to share parking lots and garages with...let's just say, they can kiss my :bootyshak with their respect for other people's property. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA