2015 standard audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phil1ben

Reaction score
Picked up my new 2015 LR4 about a month ago and I am happy with it. I only ordered the standard audio package. Although I am no audiophile by any means (in fact quite the opposite) I am not very happy with the sound from the standard system. It just sounds flat to me. I did not get the upgrade because I knew so much more could be obtained for that price aftermarket.

So having said that, what have people done to their standard 2014-2015 audio system? I do not want to change the head unit and would like to focus first on speaker upgrade and perhaps a power amp and better subwoofer. I am 55 years old and not looking to shake the car next to me just get some clearer deeper sound when I listen to classical music and channel 7 on Sirius. Thanks.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but big mistake not going for the upgraded system. I too have the base system (2013 model) and it is pretty abysmal compared to its market peers. The big problem with the LR system is that it is pretty damn integrated and uses fiber optics to the amp, which makes it a real pain in the ass to try and go aftermarket. I have searched the internet time and time again and had very little luck.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a good place to start.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27127

With all audio the "garbage in garbage out" theory applies.
Ideally you would get rid of everything OEM, but that is simply not an option. So you must start first with the main sound processor.
In our case this is the amplifier/audio processor that sits under the front passenger seat.

I have done a few factory system upgrades, (Lexus, and BMW), where we just changed out the processor, added some high quality amps, and added some sound damping to the doors. Once tuned you would never know we kept the OEM speakers. The issue is split, and it's based solely on cost for the manufacture. Not enough sound isolation for the speakers, and they are fed an inferior signal.
fix either one of those and you will have a much improved sound.
In my LR4 I have extensively dampened my doors, and sub-woofer compartments.
It's a huge improvement, because the energy from the speakers is being directed into sound instead of vibrations, rattles, and distortion.
You will also find that by just damping the doors you will have much better clarity at lower volumes.
I find the larger issue with our LR4 is lack of "hidden" space to put amp, and sound processors. Without losing the intent of my LR4 (camping, exploring, family outings), I have no additional space to spare at the moment.
I am looking more into the newer "micro" amp that have come to market, and maybe there is a solution there... not sure the tech is there just yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV