1791 Navigation Hack and NEW 2008 Map Disc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vikjts and CoMcIovin, did the 07/08 disc also update your MY05/06 GUI? For instance, one thing I noticed on MY07 and 08s is the appearance of a "Cancel Guidance" button on the RH side of the Navigation Menu, which is missing from the 05/06 version shown below:

normal_rrsnav-hack-2.jpg

Last edited:

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, for some reason, my disc hasn't updated my GUI. Hrmm, perhaps that's why 1791 still works?

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In another twist, a fella on the disco3 forum reported his 08 NAV disc did indeed upgrade his software and add the new buttons and features. I'm curious what the difference between his disc and the disc I got are, if any? Anyone else running the new 08 NAV disc?

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just talked to NAVTEQ, they stated Denso didn't inform them of any software updates on the latest disc. With that being said, I went straight from my original NAV DVD which was (C) 2004 to the new 08 disc. If anyone has a disc higher than the (c) 2004 disc they'd want to loan me, I can see if that disc performs the 1791 lock, and not the 2008 disc?

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CoMclovin,

What year is your LR3? You stated it had the 2004 disc in, but you then put in the 2008 disc. After doing so, does the 2008 Nav DVD still allow you to use 1791? I'm too afraid to try it myself and accidentally disable 1791.

What was the summary which you found?

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Angas, I used a disc (c) 2005 and (c) 2008 after replacing my (c) 2004 disc. I am still able to use the 1791 hack with all versions of the disc I've used. I have an 06 D3.

So yeah to recap, at this point, I have 1791 capability regardless of the disc I'm using.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008/9 disc update

Twice tonight I tried the loading.kwi file removal "trick" on a new, 2008/9 North America disc. I made two plastic coasters... Bad news, apparently the trick no longer works. The modified disc will load w/o errors and maps will show, but all destination input buttons (Address, Point of Interest, Intersection, etc.) become unresponsive when you push them to enter a new destination. I get the feeling the loading.kwi file on this latest map data disc may also contain new instructions on where to find database files on the disc, and/or the db file names have been changed so the original, 1791-friendly loading.kwi is no longer able to locate them.

It appears the 2007/8 disc may be the end of the line for those of us who may still be using the 1791 bypass and wishing to upgrade to the latest map disc. But, I hope I am wrong and something went haywire during the DVD burning process, although it always worked like a charm in the past so I am not too optimistic. And there is always a chance the loading.kwi file on this new disc may leave the 1791 bypass code alone, but I don't want to take the chance if it doesn't. Hopefully someone else here is able to try this and confirm whether I am right or (hopefully) wrong.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I upgraded from the original 2004/2005 disk that came with the vehicle from new. The update involved loading a new software image from disk and not simply a map db update.

The new version does appear to have subtle GUI tweaks and I noticed some difference in the nag screen too.

I didn't have a hacked gps version so can't comment on any loss of overrides for entry while moving.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I upgraded from the original 2004/2005 disk that came with the vehicle from new. (...)
I didn't have a hacked gps version so can't comment on any loss of overrides for entry while moving.

If your disc was the original one provided on your MY05 LR3 (NA specs), you probably did have the on-the-move override... But now you don't got it anymore - maybe. :frown:

See: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7209 - It's off a RRS forum but the hack was the same for MY05 and 06 LR3s with original navigation discs.

Duba3

Reaction score
Can You Go Backwards

I have a 06RRS and have never updated the nav software. I am wondering if I try the "fix" with the 2008-2009 version and it does NOT work, can I put my original disks back in and run the previous version with the 1791 hack in place? Thanks for all the info!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72